Announcement: Site Status

Started by
55 comments, last by DrakeThe 17 years, 1 month ago
can ya tell us some date wen it'll be released??

i've ben waiting for this for along time...

this is one of the greatest opengl tutorial site ever...
Advertisement
While I like the site as it is, I would like to know what happened to NeHe, the former administrator. Does he still work with OpenGL and/or have a website?
So the base code is being revamped?

Well I have a modified Linux/GLX base code as I had some problems with the original. I implemented a callback system with the key presses so the base didn't need to be touched. I also fixed the fullscreen implementation as artifacts occured and textures were lost.

So should I submit what I have or wait for the new base code and try to model after it?
Working on: DoP
You should wait a bit, the basecode is completly rewritten, object oriented and platform independent.
Thus it works a bit differently than before.
And it's not that great to have an obsolete port on day one.
Quote:Original post by BBB
We are currently writing the first lessons and deciding important aspects like coding standards, as well as updating the back-end code of the website to make future updates a more streamlined process.

well it's been almost 3 months since the annoucement, does't it realy take this long?
Sorry for the sarcasm, but with the pace like this we won't see anything new on the site, any news maybe, some new posts?
Pet
Keep your shirt on, with any luck a public beta test will begin today or tomorrow (at least this week), and from that it is not far.
Quote:Original post by Pet
well it's been almost 3 months since the annoucement, does it realy take this long?
Not a problem, personally I understand your concern and I'm sure everyone (the NeHe team included) would rather we were able to release content sooner.

However, we'd like to maintain the excellent standard that both NeHe and GameDev.Net have previously demonstrated and want to provide you with nothing short of the best material we can produce on the subject, and unfortunately that does take quite some time.

To give you an idea of what has been going on, we've had to organise the team of volunteers and have assigned roles to the members as appropriate and set up an internal development/review/release cycle to ensure our content is as ready for the public as possible. In addition, the volunteers have developed a new code-base from scratch, and have been working at a set of initial tutorials based on this new and improved code that is nearly ready for a beta release.

The back-end code of the site itself is being cleaned up (I believe this is nearly completed, although this is certainly not an official announcement to that effect), and while this won't produce any readily visible changes to users of the NeHe site it will make maintenance and future updates of the site significantly easier and could potentially lead to the easier development and deployment of further improvements in future.

Additional content and updates are coming, and we're sorry that we're unable to give more visible indications of this, but as someone with knowledge of what the development team is doing I'd ask to give them a little more patience; it's a slow process, but we'd rather take the extra time than give you an inferior product that doesn't live up to your expectations of the NeHe site.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Really great news.

I have a question concerning future site updates.
Is it possible (or will it be possible) to write an e-mail to, for example, updates@nehe.gamedev.net to be immediately informed about the fact that the updates (especially on the lessons) are up and ready to check out ?

IMO it would be great to see someday in my mailbox a message that says: "First 5 lessons are on the site!", and so on, because I would be really happy to see completly new, redesigned, more advanced lessons and code for them as soon as possible.

What do You think ?
So.....

You said a couple of days way back a month ago. I don't see any updates? Or is there a new link to the beta area?
tell you what... I'm concerned about the site right now not because I can benefit somthing from it, well... that too, but I remember back in a day I was probably one of the first persons to 'everyday-check' the site: read/write posts, learn from tutorials, write them and be concerned about Nehe's personal life, although I never met him either personally or over the phone/email. I just felt grateful someone put a pice of his life and heart in this work - alone.
Now it's a pity its like 3 monts since last news post.
Maybe I could help anyhow?
Pet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement