• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pascalosti

Using visual studio 2005

This topic is 4422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im used to using bloodshed c++ compiler (which i praise for its simplicity). Im trying to make the transition to Visual Studio 2005. What are all these other options when starting a new project? visual c++ atl, clr, general, MFC, Smart Device, Win32

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by pascalosti
Im used to using bloodshed c++ compiler (which i praise for its simplicity). Im trying to make the transition to Visual Studio 2005.

What are all these other options when starting a new project?

visual c++
atl, clr, general, MFC, Smart Device, Win32

ATL: Active Template Library
CLR: Common Language Runtime
MFC: Microsoft Foundation Classes
Smart Device: PDA, and just about any window mobile device
Win32: The bases of all windows programming (Basically a generic Windows program)

ATL is used for COM.. CLR is used for .NET.

[edit]
Yeah yeah I remember the board rules, post fixed ;)

Not to sound rude or anything, but have you even tried to read the IDE's documentation? The people at Microsoft put much effort into assembling a quite good manual that covers the IDE and its use.
Please give these people some credit and at least read it first, before asking here.

Regards,
Pat.

Do yourself a massive favor and skip MFC horridness. I rather work with Win32 (MFC just wraps it) or another library (so many and better alternatives to MFC).

Yeah in my original unrevised post MFC was surrounded by (crap) and (absolutely no use) and such, but I modified it so it wouldn't have a bias of my views.

thanks for reply,
I did try using help menu but its very bloated I usually get lost reading
stuff that makes little sence to me. People on the boards usually make more sence.

Well here's a lesson you need to learn about programming (I don't program games for a living, I write bank software, but the concept is the same). In the programming field, what determines if you 'make it' or not, is your ability to find information, even it is hard to understand and obscure. My first programming task at my first job was writing a pdf-to-xml conversion utility (including images!).. The format documentation spanned across 3 books, two of which were 2500-3000 pages long! I'm sure I was just lucky, but still.. its highly recommended that you get used to reading microsoft's documentation, because if you're going to be a programmer, you're gonna find yourself at MSDN (microsoft developers network) time after time.

Adding to Dreq's comment, if your attitude is "I don't want to put effort into learning things myself, I'd rather make *you* put effort into explaining things to me", some people might find it a bit rude. [wink]
You can't expect others to do your work for you.

It's a good idea to get used to reading the documentation. And when it fails, there's always [google]
I typed in MFC on Google, and result #2 was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Foundation_Classes

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!