• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Programming

This topic is 4329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am kind of new to programming, I've just completed a course in Visual Basic but I'm in high school and we didn't get too complex. But I was wondering what languages I should be learning if I wanted to make this into a career. Next year I will be taking an AP course in Java but I wanted to know what other languages are commonly used in game development. Also, if you could recommend any books that would be helpful in learning those languages that would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Learn x86 assembly :)

Um.. C++ is the de-facto for game programming. I myself use C# but I don't think any professional companies are using C# to write games (yet anyway).

Quote:
Original post by Dreq
I myself use C# but I don't think any professional companies are using C# to write games (yet anyway).

My understanding is that C# is gaining ground, and that is being used somewhat widely for making tools for professional projects.

If you want to make this into a career, C++ is most likely the better choice. Not necessarily as the first language though. C++ is also the industry standard.

Some languages i've seen people been using a lot:
Java
Python
C/C++
C#
Blitz Basic

Probably forgot some languages, but that's some of the common ones people use to mention.

x86 assembly is basically human readable machine code.. does this kind of code look famailiar:

push ax
mov ax, [bx]
mov bx, ax
pop ax

Thats basically what assembly looks like. Even though I am COMPLETLY alone in this.. I still say x86 is the best language to learn FIRST, because it is very close to how a pc actuially works. You don't have classes and functions and all these high level things. Instead you pretty much do everything yourself. And if you understand how a pc works, you can write better, more efficient code. After I learned x86 assembly, I started doing things like bitshifting instead of dividing/multiplying by power-of-two numbers (Real handy with 2d tile based games). But again, I seem to be the only one who thinks this way.

If you're serious about it then this might help to you. One thing to note if you have no programming experience whats so ever don't try to run before you haven't learned to walk meaning don't expect to be programming games straight away besides you're young and you have a life time there is no need to rush it.

Quote:
Original post by Dreq
I still say x86 is the best language to learn FIRST, because it is very close to how a pc actuially works. You don't have classes and functions and all these high level things. Instead you pretty much do everything yourself. And if you understand how a pc works, you can write better, more efficient code. After I learned x86 assembly, I started doing things like bitshifting instead of dividing/multiplying by power-of-two numbers (Real handy with 2d tile based games).

That is the most absurd advice i've ever read. If he/she learns assembly first she/he wont learn how to problem solve (and learn it using a variety of programming concept) properly, she/he wont learn how to design large programs and design them good, she/he wont be exposed to any form of programming abstractions and no i don't mean just "OO".

Also you do not need to program in assembly to learn about computer architecture.

Quote:
Original post by Dreq
But again, I seem to be the only one who thinks this way.

For good reasons.

snk_kid, avoid chances to start flamewars like that. There are good reasons to learn assembly, but that doesn't really matter right now anyway.

Anyway, you shouldn't start with assembly since it won't help you with anything when learning, and as far as I know, regarding the game industry assembly is passe, they used to use it but now the game industry uses C++ I suppose.

Aside from that you should also learn Python and/or Lua, since modern games rely heavily on scripting.

Quote:
Original post by snk_kidThat is the most absurd advice i've ever read. If he/she learns assembly first she/he wont learn how to problem solve (and learn it using a variety of programming concept) properly, she/he wont learn how to design large programs and design them good, she/he wont be exposed to any form of programming abstractions and no i don't mean just "OO".

"Wont learn how to problem solve":
Oh so assembly has absolutely no problem solving at all?

"she/he wont learn how to design large programs and design them good":
And visual basic is supposed to be better?

"she/he wont be exposed to any form of programming abstractions and no i don't mean just "OO""
Thats kind of the point...

And, I close with the following passage:
dcl_2d s0
dcl t0.xy
texld r1, t0, s0
mov oC0, r1

Know what that is? A pixel shader program. Huzaaa.

[edit]
And thanks for the negative raiting!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!