[java] Experts: Storing data in a Java MUD OLC environment

Started by
3 comments, last by JavaGamer 23 years, 1 month ago
Hello,
I need some expert help. I''m working on a java MUD online creation tool. Players will be able to expand the world online, adding rooms, items and mobiles. Some of the settings that will be saved will be simple variables and others will be long 5 line descriptions. As I see it there are 3 alternatives:
1 MySql (its cheap and I dont need any of the missing functionality. I''ll just be selecting, inserting, deleting. So no sermons on how bad it is.)
2 Random access text files
3 Serialization

What I''m worried about most is:
* Speed with 300 concurrent users
* Stability (if the server crashes, information is not totally lost this may be the case with text files?)

I''m not worried about portability, which could be the case with serialization.

Thankyou all java game-programming experts.
Advertisement
My personal opinion is that you should go for a database.
Depending on which platform the server is running on, you have several choices. If you''re running on Linux I would seriously recommend using Oracle, which is *free* for that platform (although a pretty hefty download from the oracle-servers... )

You should also use connection-pooling to avoid opening and closing connections to the database every time you need to check or update some information (this will save you and immense amount of time and CPU).

Good luck to ya.

-Neophyte

- Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth. -
Ok, but do you think Mysql could handle it? I would like to use a database that works for both linux and windows... mysql obviously does. Keep in mind this is not a mysql flame debate, I dont need transactions. I just want to do some basic database stuff.
I wouldn''t want to offer an opinion on what mySQL can or cannot handle, as I have never used it myself.
I know, however, that Oracle is downloadable for free for just about any platform you like at oracle''s web-site. Wether this also includes a free *license* I don''t know (except for Linux, which I *do* know has a free license).
If your''re really set on a cross-platform server (although I can''t understand why the server should be cross-platform) you should probably try mySQL first. If it isn''t up to it you could then decide wether to switch to Linux and Oracle.

Neophyte

- Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth. -
You are correct, the server will only run on one platform. It''s just considering its being coded in java it would be nice to have some portability. I guess it wouldnt be too difficult to use a different database if I wanted to move it. F.I. Oracle on Linux and Mysql on windows. I would have to find a good way to transfer the data, but it shouldnt be impossible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement