• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Thors1982

Advice on what to add to my game/Where to go

This topic is 4428 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a newb... Have only been doing DirectX/Game programming for about a month. I am however, proficient in C++. Anyways, My game currently again only been about a month 1: isometric game + smooth scrolling 2: multiple layers 3: animated movement 4: impassable objects as well as objects that can be walked on *If you would like to download it to see what I have http://www.nstark.com/Thor/Thor.zip Just wondering what would be the easiest/best to add next, I didn't think I would get this far in a month so im really excited. But kinda confused as to where i should go next. Any links for the ideas would be appreciated but not necessary :-) Thanks a lot for the help I would have never gotten this far without the forums so Thanks.

Advertisement
Content? :p You say you have animated movement, but do you have human-input support? How about AI.. or back up a step.. do you know what you're trying to make in the first place? I guess "the point of the game" would be the logical next ;)

Hehe
yeah, there is human interaction up button up, left button goes left... etc

Well, its going to be an RPG so I have tons to do, I thought about adding creatures next but thought attacking/AI may be too difficult of a step

I probably should have given a example list :-p

Add creatures then attacking (as they stand there aka no AI)
Add creatures and AI movement (no attacking)
Add a menu system, like backpack, armor, skills, etc
Add items I could pick up (would require mouse to tile interaction)
Need some sort of Text interaction, everything from what is this item? What is this NPC saying?
Work on map little more by adding buildings (aka roof disapears when you walk in. And Character can't be seen behind walls(i think that parts working but haven't fully tested)

Sorry I should have been a bit more detailed

"Content" is a good answer, but not all that helpful.

It looks like an attempt to learn how to manipulate sprites, not a game.

Games need some way to learn how to play them: an in-game tutorial, a demo mode, or a manual. Games need a goal: remove the pieces, rescue the princess, improve your score. Games need to interact with the player, and be fun. Games have a victory and/or defeat condition. Games are a subset of toys.

Toys interact with the player and don't really need a goal. A ball is a toy. An interactive water effect on the screen is a toy. A sprite walking around on terrain is a rather boring toy. Making a fun toy is an important part of making a fun game. Sometimes a toy without a goal is fun, like The Sims or a child with a ball, but usually goals are required to maintain interest.

What would I work on next?

From where it is now, I would find a way to add some fun and turn the sprite thing into a toy. Add things to manipulate and work with. Make walking around so that it is somewhat fun. As has been stated elsewhere, give it a "juicy" interface, something that squishes, beeps, wiggles, buzzes, hums, glows, slips, slides, flows, tumbles, bumps, falls, or otherwise reacts to human input. Then it will be a toy you can eventually turn in to a fun game.

frob your 100% correct thats exactly what it was/is not only an attempt to learn sprite's but a excercise in learning directX and even the game loop :-)

I am just learning and I know I still have a long way to go. Thats why I asked where to go next cause im afraid to dive into something too deep :-)

I do understand what you are saying though :-)

If you're making an RPG, I'd suggest joining/forming a team. Then you can take your place as programmer/designer/whatever, and offer what you can, and learn what you need. Otherwise, your game will prolly end up like the past two of my games: an attempt to learn how to manipulate sprites. [smile]

Seriously, though, join or create a team. You can keep on working on the engine, but have friends who can make art, sounds, music, a storyline, etc.

Good luck, have fun!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!