looking for game engine

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 9 months ago
I'm looking for a good free game engine in order to make a 3d turn-based rpg. I don't mind if the graphics resemble ps1 graphics, I'm just looking to try to find some graphics for an rpg. And would it be easier to get a 3d game engine or to make it from scratch?
Advertisement
It depends on what you mean by "engine". If you want a renderer, OGRE and Irrlicht are free. OGRE was harder for me to get a grasp of, but in the end, I found it more flexible than Irrlicht.

If you mean a fully-functioning game-maker, I don't know much about those. Torque is pretty cheap, and it's fairly popular.

As for using an engine being easier than writing one, I'm using Irrlicht right now, because I was spending too much time writing rendering code that I could have spent writing game code.

Plus, if you haven't written an engine before, you probably wouldn't know what to expect. You'll want to use a good one to base yours on anyway.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
How about a whole engine that's free like an old quake or unreal engine or those but slightly modified (for instance, the darkplaces engine was a mod of the original quake engine)? Would one of those be any good?

I heard that the Quake III engine would be good or a mod of it? If anyone has used that I'd like to know how it is.
OGRE is not a game engine. It is a rendering engine. That's all it's designed to do. Irrlicht is more along the lines of a game "engine," as it has some other features not exclusively limited to graphics such as collision and GUI integrated. Ogre is useable with CEGUI, so GUI capability is readily available for that too.
Torque Game Engine is 100$, I strongly recommend it. Its DEFINETLY easier to learn to use an existing game engine than making your own.
the Quake 3 and DarkPlace engines are written entirely in C (not C++). They are good engines, but they are hard to work with just because there is no OOP in them. DarkPlaces is a very advanced engine though, but very specialized in FPS, so you would have to work alot to extend it in order to fit your needs (3d rpg).
Is there any thing special i should know to use a pre-made game engine such as Quake III. I am more used to making games from scratch (not game engines).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement