• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Drunken_Monkey

OpenAL problems

This topic is 4429 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just starting OpenAL, but I can't find any SDK's that are compatible with VC 2005. They use stdio.h and windows.h Are there any SDK's that use the STD library?

Advertisement
Umm... Huh? windows.h is needed to gain access Windows... it has nothing to do with the standard library (they're totally seperate and different things). OpenAL (any version of it) is compatible with VC 2005. VC 2005 is like VC 2003 and VC6... It's an IDE and a compiler. OpenAL is backwards compatible for C. Therefore, its not C++ nor uses the standard library.

Just grab it, if it doesn't come with project files for VC 2k5 (doubtful but could happen) upgrade the 2k3 ones (I know it has those) and compile.

Plus you can get the source and add in std::string, std::vector etc if it's really that much of an annoyance ;-) Though it works perfectly fine (no crashes, etc) without it.

Edit: typos

I think he means Visual Studio can't find windows.h and stdio.h. Are you using the express edition of Visual Studio 2005 by any chance? This doesn't include the Platform SDK which is needed to build windows applications.

Install this:Platform SDK Download

Ignore the fact that it says Windows server 2003, its for most versions of windows too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!