• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cqulyx

Why did the C++ standard committee make such restrictions on bit-fields?

This topic is 4485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On page 163 of the C++ standard document(9.6 Bit-fields), I found three rules on bit-fields: Rule 1, "A bit-field shall not be a static member." Rule 2, "A non-const reference shall not be bount to a bit-field" Rule 3, "Note: if the initializer for a reference of type const T& is an lvalue that refers to a bit-field, the reference is bound to a temporary initialized to hold the value of the bit-field; the reference is not bound to the bit-field directly." Visual Studio 2005, however, can correctly compile and run the following code fragment: typedef int BIT; struct BITSET { BIT a : 1; BIT b : 1; BIT c : 1; BIT d : 5; }; class Test { public: static BITSET m; // Violation of the Rule 1 }; BITSET Test::m = {0}; int main() { BITSET a = {1, 0, 1}; BITSET& b = a; // Violation of the Rule 2 const BITSET& c = a; a.a = 0; // After this statement, c.a is also set to 0. Violation of the rule 3 } Maybe someone will say: "They are just that Microsoft doesn't abide by the C++ standard", but what I want know is why the C++ standard make such restrictions. I'm not able to find enough motivation for the C++ standard committee to do like this. I think VS 2005 did right to break these rules. If you know the whys, please tell me. Thanks in advance. [Edited by - cqulyx on July 6, 2006 5:39:46 PM]

Advertisement
BITSET is not a bit-field. BITSET::a, BITSET::b, BITSET::c and BITSET::d are bit fields that are members of the BITSET structure.

You read the requirements incorrectly. BITSET is a struct, not a bitfield. It is BITSET::a through BITSET::d which are bitfields and thus cannot be static or bound to non-const references.

The primary reason is that on most architectures, bits are not individually addressable.

to SiCrane and uray:

I deleted the post just because I felt ashamed for having such a stupid question. I didn't think of you would feel not cool. Now I repost it again, and say sorry to you two.

Quote:
Original post by cqulyx
to SiCrane and uray:

I deleted the post just because I felt ashamed for having such a stupid question. I didn't think of you would feel not cool. Now I repost it again, and say sorry to you two.

Never feel ashamed for asking a question. Feel ashamed if you are too arrogant to ask questions. Nobody knows everything (except me, but I don't count. Hail Eris! You shall partake of no hot dog buns!)

I'm very sorry that I can not understand the meaning of "Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!", I googled it but get nothing.

Who can teach me what the words actually means? Thanks in advance.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!