latest standard of C and C++

Started by
27 comments, last by mattnewport 17 years, 9 months ago
Im just curious as Ive seen this coming up a lot recently...

For those that have purchased the standard books, do you actually think it was worth it? Or will you find most of it in regular reference books on the market (and not all necessarily in one book) right now?

I know enough now that I rather purchase reference books for any language that I need to learn or use often rather than an intro/beginner book so I was just wondering how the official standard books compare to some commercial reference books.
Advertisement
I don't refer to the standard that often but when I've needed to it's invaluable, after all it is by definition the definitive reference [grin]

Sometimes you come across some slightly obscure issue that you can't find agreement on and then the letter of the standard is the only way to resolve the question. It's not something you're going to need on a day to day basis though and it's certainly not what I'd recommend as a first resource for someone learning the language.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Lets be fair though, unless things have changed recently no major compiler actually implements the export keyword, let alone correctly.

Well, there's a reason why I called it infamous. But it also depends on what you call a major compiler. In addition to Comeau, last time I checked, Intel's C++ Compiler supported export (which makes sense as I believe it uses an EDG front end).
MSVC++ 2005 ignoring exception specifications is, arguably, a very good thing.

Come on now; Herb Sutter is on the MSVC++ team. You've read his books. That compiler is in good hands standards-wise.
Quote:Original post by Dave
You will find the standard here, as a PDF i believe.

Actually, you won't. The free PDFs there do not include the standard. They include drafts leading up to the standard but not the standard itself. Legally, those must be purchased from the appropriate standards bodies. When I purchased it a couple of years ago 14882:2003 was only $18 - very well worth the investment.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Lets be fair though, unless things have changed recently no major compiler actually implements the export keyword, let alone correctly.

Well, there's a reason why I called it infamous. But it also depends on what you call a major compiler. In addition to Comeau, last time I checked, Intel's C++ Compiler supported export (which makes sense as I believe it uses an EDG front end).

Yeah, thats why I wrote 'major' instead of 'all'. I'd be surprised if you found even 1% of gamedev members using it. Good to hear the Intel one supporting it too though. [grin]
Any book on the subject?
Bah. Intel writes some good compilers.

Having at least 1 liscence for it and seeing if it can make your code compiler to a faster executable is worthwhile. :)
Quote:Original post by kickkick
Any book on the subject?

Books on what subject?
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Quote:Original post by kickkick
Any book on the subject?

Books on what subject?

Read my first post. It's what this thread is all about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement