General game development question

Started by
1 comment, last by NineYearCycle 17 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I hope I’m posting this in the correct forum, I spent a few minutes trying to find the right section to post this in. :P Lately I’ve been thinking about game development and how it all works, which got me to thinking that with the old and newer sidescrollers (Mario, Sonic, Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, Metal Slug etc) does the character model stay still while the background moves, or does the character move including the background? The reason why I ask is because I’m developing a game in Flash for a course I’m doing, but what I’ve learnt so far is that the character model stays in the one spot while the background moves… which really puts me off gaming… So my question is, nowadays is this the way games are developed? For example, Half-Life 2, Halo, Counter-Strike, Grand Theft Auto, does the character model (the person / character you play as) stay in the one spot while the background moves around them, or is it the other way around? By the way, just out of curiosity, is it possible to design a game so that the level (map / environment) moves around the player model, for example in a first-person-shooting game? Thanks for reading.
Advertisement
In side scrolling games with spaceships etc. the player usually doesnt move (only within the screen)and the backgrounds and objects get scrolled into the screen.

In 3d games it would be a darn waste to move everything around exept for the player, not to mention the fact that multiplayer games become nearly impossible that way, since everyone is trying to turn the world around em xD

It is possible to make the background move around, but only in 2d games.

greetz,

Thomaz

ps, if you want an example for an flash game im working on (well workin on is a big word, im just testing some stuff out) i can send it to you through msn, just add Thomasvandenessenburg@hotmail.com, or PM me
Quote:Original post by Sheep Licker
but what I’ve learnt so far is that the character model stays in the one spot while the background moves… which really puts me off gaming…

I've gotta ask but, why on Earth would it put you off gaming?

Or let me explain something:
Scenario 1: (in 2D) You move the player in the world, through a level to (x=10, y=200). You then draw the world by moving the camera/viewport relative to the players position.

Scenario 2: (again in 2D) You move the world relative to the player, through a level until you have offset the world by (x=-10,y=-200). You then draw the world by moving each world element by the offset amount.

If you implement the two systems i've just described you will end up drawing *exactly* the same thing. No gameplay will change, even in multiplayer, you just use the players offset (from Scenario 2) instead of the players position (from Scenario 1) this works in multiplayer because the offsets are of the same scale within the same play area just like their position would be ;)

So why does the manor in which you draw/represent the internal position data of objects and player in the world put you off gaming?

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement