• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

(C++) Templates for a resourcemanager

This topic is 4249 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was thinking about having a resourcemanager using templates. The idea, which I saw somewhere, is this. You have a ResourceManager where you can register different ResourceLoaders. Then you use the manager like this: resourceManager.loadResource<Texture>(). The manager will find the appropriate loader and use it to proive a Texture (in this case). I believe this, or something similar, can be done, but I have several problems. How could loadResource<>() find the right loader depending on the provided template class? I want the manager to have a list with all the resources loaded so far. But there is no way to dynamically add a resource typ when a new loader is registered. Right? There would have to be a common baseclass for all resources I believe. Can you see a solution for some of my problems, or do you maybe have a suggestion to do it differently alltogether? Thanks.

Advertisement
If you derive all your resources from a common base class, you can create a resource creation base interface, call it ResourceCreator. The use a wrapper class around the std::type_info with an ordering relationship, call it TypeInfo, and you can register your resource creators with the TypeInfo of the resource class in a std::map<TypeInfo, ResourceCreator *> . Then when the template resource creation function is called, you can index the std::map with the type_id of the desired resource and invoke the creator from the relevant ResourceCreator interface.

The resourcecreator is what I called loader?
I will look into the std::type_info. Thanks!

A general question. Does this seem like a more or less reasonable way to handle resources?

Correct.

another solution object factory

highly recommend Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied by Andrei Alexandrescu

Kuphryn

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement