• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ioda

OpenGL graphic card

This topic is 4429 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have the choice between : 1) Asus Nvidia 7950 GT 2*512MB DDR-3 2) ATI FIREGL V7350 1GO 3) Nvidia QUADRO FX4500 512MB GDDR-3 I work with OPENGL principally with vertex buffer object with very big mesh of triangles. But sometimes, we could use 3dmax. If somebody can tell wich is the best? Thx

Advertisement
You've picked 3 cards designed for 3 entirely seperate purposes. You didn't just find the most expensive cards you could did you? 3dmax only needs the graphics card for previews. OpenGL work could suggest a lot of things - if you are making games, then you'd want to select the card actually intended for gaming so that you can write usable code. If you are doing OpenGL reference work (like medical imaging), then you'd want the work station card, but then why do you have the Quadro? If your setup requires what the Quadrois design to do, why are you considering the other two?

3dmax can use the graphic card to render too.

it's not for game, it's to move(...) and deal with file coming from a scaner.
My only question is : i'm using the vertex buffer object to display the mesh (millions of triangles). So is it useful to have card 2 or 3 or the 1 is good enough? (1000€ cheaper)

And if 2 or 3 are useful, is it better to have 1GO (to store all in the card memory (vertex buffer object)) or the quadro is faster even with only 512MB?

thx

So you are manipulating input from a 3D scanner I assume (laser/manually operated touch pen/etc). Big question - are you working with texture data, or just the mesh?

First, unless you are doing this out of your basement you can probably forget about the 7950. It's a gaming card, designed to provide the feel of speed for the best price. While it may share common parts (the FX4500 is based on the Geforce 7800, while the V7350 is based on the Radeon 1800) they aren't suited for the same thing. Think of it in terms of a Ford Mustang (muscle car) and a Ford truck - they might have the same engine, but you'd only take one to a construction site, while the other you'd race around in. Being able to throw around fancy pixel shaders in Oblivion isn't going to help a whole lot when you need to work with FMV level poly counts.

If you aren't working with the texture data (or if the texture data doesn't match the high resolution of the meshes), the FX4500 is probably the better buy. While it's slower, it's a lot wider (24 pipelines vs 16), giving it a commanding edge when it comes to pushing lots of basic pixels.

If you do have a lot of texture data then the V7350's extra memory and higher memory/core clock is going to come into play, especially if you work with some effects. It's also much better with DirectX (mainly by default since the Quadro just doesn't do a good job of supporting the API), but since you said you are using OpenGL that shouldn't be an issue.

One more note. The 7950 GTX is basically just 2 7900 GT's slapped together in a SLI configuration and using one PCIe slot instead of 2. If the application is not supported in the drivers (SLI profile) then you are most likely going be using only half the power (unless you can successfully setup your own profiles).

The OS also detects the cards as two separate cards.

Thx for your response.

Yes i can apply texture on the mesh too but not all the time (25% of the time i would say).

Where i'm obliged to buy it, the quadro is 200€ more than the firegl.

Is the quadro better enough with big mesh to spend 200€ more?

And if i use mesh of more than 512 MB (use vertex buffer object to put it in the memory of the card), will the 1GO of the firegl make the differance or not?

Quote:
Original post by nts
One more note. The 7950 GTX is basically just 2 7900 GT's slapped together in a SLI configuration and using one PCIe slot instead of 2. If the application is not supported in the drivers (SLI profile) then you are most likely going be using only half the power (unless you can successfully setup your own profiles).

The OS also detects the cards as two separate cards.

yes when i received the offer of price, i've seen that it was 2*512MB and not 1GO

Quote:
Original post by ioda
Thx for your response.

Yes i can apply texture on the mesh too but not all the time (25% of the time i would say).

Where i'm obliged to buy it, the quadro is 200€ more than the firegl.

Is the quadro better enough with big mesh to spend 200€ more?

And if i use mesh of more than 512 MB (use vertex buffer object to put it in the memory of the card), will the 1GO of the firegl make the differance or not?

That's hard. Maybe there has been a price drop, as it used to be the other way around (FireGL $200 more expensive), which tipped things in the Quadro's favor (better raw power at a better price). If you are using 3DMax alone then the difference in performance is small enough that the 200 euros cheaper would probably be enough to switch you to the FireGL (and all that extra memory would probably make it a bit more future proof). Frankly the performance is pretty even (as I said, Quadro is wider, but has less memory and is clocked lower) when you average them out over different tasks. The only places you'd probably see a big enough difference to completely ignore one card or the other are DirectX (FireGL does this well, Quadro does not, though this is likely driver related) or Maya (Quadro does this well, FireGL does not, again this is likely Maya being better optimized for the NVidia design).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!