[java] Kinda a Java Newb

Started by
2 comments, last by Addictman 17 years, 9 months ago
These are some questions that are proabably asked before, but I did not see them so I will ask them here. Just to give you a little back ground, I have *SOME* programming experience and want to create something cool and relatively easy (in this case, 2D). I am looking into developing something for a webpage using java, but I also think that it would be cool to have this Java game be downloadable if the player wishes to download it. So my first question is: What are the major differences between applets and a windowed versions. I am talking input, things that can be done in one, but not the other, issues like that. I want to design it easy enough were All i have to do, is extend a different base class, maybe have to redesign input, but the rest should be compatible between the two. What is a GOOD IDE? With my C/C++ programming I love to be able to step through code. Is this available with Java IDEs? (again, like i said...i'm not overly familiar enough with java or its IDEs). How does Java support sounds? MP3? Midis? Wavs? which works best in both app types (or in general?) Any other information you guys can provide would be great! thanks!! ThE ReAl s>|1zz0|2
Advertisement
@Code

You can launch the same applet code in desktop. You just have to pack the resources you use alongside your code, and, use appletviewer to launch the code, instead of common "java" directive.

@Debug

Eclipse and Netbeans are the best free IDEs out there. And both support debugging. My favorite IDE is netbeans.

@Sound

You can either use the SDK provided packages (like javax.sound), or download small libs that exist out there, supporting streaming and stuff like that in an easy way. You can work with many formats by default, and extending your code to support others is quite easy.

As for the diferences between applets and desktop apps, I would have to write a bible... you might be better served by looking at the java tutorial's topics on applets to learn these diferences.

Son Of Cain

a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
BlueJ is another IDE, which does debugging. It's written in Java. I'd check out JCreator, which has a free lite edition, and is written in C++. It, however, doesn't have debugging support. The problem especially with Java IDE's is when they're written in Java, sometimes the speed difference between using one of them for Java, and your regular C++ environment you're used to (e.g. MS Visual C++, CodeBlocks, etc.) is noticable, especially when working with a lot of classes.

The problem with IDE's is that most of it is personal preference, so don't be afraid to try a few with small (I use "Hello world" or tic-tac-toe) projects before deciding on one.

Also, try google.

EDIT: Apologize for posting too early. Here's a current thread about IDE's.

=====================

For audio stuff, I've used AudioClip from Java sound before to play MIDIs. There's a simple loading function for them in the Applet class, Applet.getAudioClip(URL...).

There's several bindings of OpenAL, one of them being in LWJGL, which also includes OpenGL (which can be used for 2D, but that's an entirely different discussion) bindings too. I don't have any experience using it, so I can't make any suggestions other than to say it's there.
I like Eclipse. And when people find out that the default delay value for the code completion is set to 200 milliseconds, and change it to something lower, most others I know really like it as well ;)
Development blog, The Omega Sector -- http://www.omegasector.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement