• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

[java] How would I implement this?

This topic is 4423 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wish to have a hirarchy of directories. In each directory I may have zero or more sub directories, and zero or more strings. Should I use the Tree class? Or should I create my own composite design pattern class? Also, how would I deal with the GUI of this? I can create a dialog in net beans that will contain some buttons. However, I want to present these directories and strings, much like windows explorer presents its file system. That means I need to be able to close and open each directory and to select directories and files, so when I will press one of the buttons of the dialog, it will operate on the last item I selected. Can you help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Hi.

This is simply my 2 cents. There might be better alternatives out there.

I would use a JTree component as a view (gui). Before initialising it, I would create a TreeModel with which I fill my information.

In case you wonder about how to traverse the directories as well, you should use the File class. Choose a "root" directory, and recursively call File's listFiles() method to traverse through the directories. ( File has a method isDirectory() which you can use to differ between files and directories.) The File class also has methods that lets you check your program's access rights to the files/directories.

Remember that initialising a File object (successfully) does not mean that the file or directory actually exists. Check that with the exists() method.

The API for the File object is pretty self-explanatory.

For more information on how to use Tree structures, take a look at
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/tree.html

Good luck ;)

When I said directories I didnt mean to read the directories of the hard drive!
Its just the way I will be presenting and storing some of my data in the ram.

I have created a dialog with netbeans, and used the JTree class in it.
I copied the code into eclipse.
Now it presents me a tree with all sort of directories such as food and stuff like that.
Is that the default tree?

I have already read the "how to" you have posted, but I havnt found there the following:
How do I remove directories from a tree. Both single and the whole tree directories structure.
And how do I edit tree "leaves"?
I couldnt find methods that will do that in JTree.

You could keep a list (Vector or ArrayList) of objects. If an object is a list, then that object itself is another list of objects or Lists. Etc. You could also use a Hashtable or something if you want to name the directories.

When you want to display this structure, you can use a tree.

EDIT: Instead of Objects or Lists, you would use Strings or Lists as specified in your original post.

How would I use the JTree to display it?
I am unable to remove items from it.
Should I recreate the JTree each time I update the hirerachy of lists and strings?
How do I create a new JTree with the lists I want?

Adding nodes to JTree

http://javaalmanac.com/egs/javax.swing.tree/AddNode.html

at the bottom, there is also a link to an example of removing nodes from a JTree, and other JTree related stuff.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

I have added a DefaultMutableTreeNode to my tree.
However, I want it to be a directory but the Icon it shows is not of a directory.
How do I make it show a directory icon?

Please help with this.
I want to edit the name of the JTree node. I did something like this:

DefaultMutableTreeNode node = (DefaultMutableTreeNode)mPath.getLastPathComponent();

// TODO: Check if no bug over here
node.setUserObject(txtName.getText());

Will this create bugs?
Also when I do this, the name is updated in the GUI only after I select something else.
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!