why does it crash? (C++ Linked lists)

Started by
3 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 9 months ago
http://rafb.net/paste/results/3hrmUS48.html I was trying to write a simple linked list program. it was working pretty good and i could see the results but in the end its showing some DEBUG error.. i cant figure out whats the problum..
Advertisement
If by a "DEBUG" error, you mean an assertion failure in dbgheap.c, that's a memory corruption:

Quote:int cNameLength=strlen(cName),pNumberLength=strlen(pNumber);

PhoneNumber=new char [pNumberLength];
ClientName=new char [cNameLength];

You forgot to allocate one extra byte for the '\0' character that marks the end of a string.

Since you are using C++, you should use the C++ std::string class rather than C-style strings. It would spare you that kind of error. The std::list class would likewise cover your linked-list needs.

There may be more errors in your code.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
that was probably it..
thanks, its working good now.
but can u show me how can i use the std::string?
Quote:Original post by clearly
that was probably it..
thanks, its working good now.
but can u show me how can i use the std::string?

Click Me.
I'm too nice to people...

#include <iostream>#include <string>#include <list>#include <limits>class Data {  std::string phoneNumber;  std::string clientName;  public:  Data(const std::string& phoneNumber, const std::string& clientName) :    phoneNumber(phoneNumber), clientName(clientName) {}  friend ostream& operator<<(ostream& os, const Data& d) {    return os << "Client name: " << clientName << "\n"               << "Phone number: " << phoneNumber;  }};template <typename T>bool readItem(T& result, istream& source) {  bool success = (source >> result);  source.clear();  source.ignore(std::numeric_limits<streamsize>::max(), '\n');  return success;}std::string readline(istream& source) {  std::string result;  std::getline(source, result);  return result;}int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {  typedef std::list<Data> datalist;  datalist l;  std::cout << "C++ standard library and typical C++ design idioms for fun and profit" << std::endl;   while (true) {    std::cout << "1. New client\n2. Quit" << std::endl;    int c;    if (readItem(c, std::cin) && c == 1) {      std::cout << "\nInput phone number: " << std::flush;      string phonenumber = readline(std::cin);      std::cout << "Input client name: " << std::flush;      string clientname = readline(std::cin);      l.push_back(Data(phonenumber, clientname));      std::cout << "\nInsert succesfull..\n" << std::endl;    } else { break; }  }  for (datalist::iterator it = l.begin(); it != l.end(); ++it) {    std::cout << *it << std::endl;  }}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement