• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

C++ Primer

This topic is 4248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was browsing Amazon for good C++ books and saw someone suggest the C++ Primer 3rd Edition as a good starter book. But my question is, Would the 4th edition be as suitable to someone like me who is new to the C++ language? Some reviews for the 4th edition said that it was a great book, but for an experienced C++ programmer. So which one should I get, or should I get both? Keep in mind I'm new to the C++ language and am willing to take the time and read whatever I have to to get a grasp on the language and proper techniques involved with the language.

Advertisement
Make sure you not confuse "C++ Primer" with "C++ Primer Plus". Those are two completely unrelated books. That aside, it generally makes sense to get the most recent edition of any given book.

Ok. I found this list of 3 books that were said to be a good pathway to learning the C++ language.
1. C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman
2. C++ Algorithms by Robert Sedgewick
3. C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
**Then maybe The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup

Just looking for some more opinions on whether those books would be helpful to me in learning the C++ language.

Yes, they would. Though I must admit I haven't read "C++ Primer", Sedgewick's algorithms books are excellent, and Josuttis's book on the standard library is a must-have. Whether or not to buy "The C++ Programming Language" is up to you. I have learned C++ from it, some other people think it's not a good book to teach the language. Either way, it is a good language reference.

I am myself a fan of "Accelerated C++", but it is a bit tough on people who have never programmed. "C++ Common Knowledge" is good once you have finished reading whichever introductory C++ book you have chosen.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement