• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TeardropMushroom

Minesweeper Clone: Problem of it working on other PCs

This topic is 4422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just semi-finished (Still a few features that I need to add) a clone of minesweeper using a win32 api. I am using Visual Studio 2005 and used the batch build option to build a release version of the game. However, when I sent it to three people the game would not work, but it works on my PC. It didn't work on one computer because he was using a Mac and I was unaware when I sent it. The other two were using a PC and got this message "application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect." What does that mean and how could I fix the problem? :)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by TeardropMushroom
I just semi-finished (Still a few features that I need to add) a clone of minesweeper using a win32 api. I am using Visual Studio 2005 and used the batch build option to build a release version of the game. However, when I sent it to three people the game would not work, but it works on my PC.

It didn't work on one computer because he was using a Mac and I was unaware when I sent it. The other two were using a PC and got this message "application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect." What does that mean and how could I fix the problem? :)

Missing DLLs? Have you included versions of all dlls you use that don't come with a standard windows installation with your app.

Use a tool like Depencency Walker to figure out, which dlls to ship along with the program. You don't need to include DirectX or system related libraries, though (i.e. user32.dll, kernel32.dll, etc.).

HTH,
Pat.

Guest Anonymous Poster
msvcr80.dll is the one that is missing on the other pc's

you can include this dll (maybe you must also change some settings in a kind of a config file) or you can change the "runtime library" setting in your projectsettings under "c/c++" "code generation" to use the non dll version

Keep in mind though, that you might run into trouble if you use many 3rd-party libraries later on. All libraries should be compiled with the same settings with regards to the runtime library. Since most libs are linked against the dll-version, you should keep in mind that setting the runtime to static isn't always the best option.

Regards,
Pat.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!