• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Linestrip thickness

This topic is 4246 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to change the thickness of a linestrips' lines using DirectX 9x? I found one post here that said it wasn't possible with DirectX 8. I have a 2D hex map and I want to outline a few of the hexes with thicker lines. I can get it to outline the hexes but I want the outline to be a bit thicker. Thanks in advance. Rob

Advertisement
As far as I know, DirectX doesn't support line widths (other than 1, of course)

Your best bet is to write a line-drawing function that takes two points and builds a thin quad connecting them. The good part of this is that you can then have texture mapped lines :)

ID3DXLine::SetWidth.

There is no such control drawing lines with DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_LINELIST,...).

Thanks for the replies. I am using c# so the ID3DXLine::SetWidth wouldn't work.

What I ended up doing was just drawing 2 hexes with one slightly inside the other. Essentially I doubled my vertices from 7 to 14. Since I only need to do it for a few hexes, the added verts don't cause any noticeable slowdowns. Here is the vertice code I used:

public CustomVertex.PositionColored[] GetHexOutlineVerts()
{
//line strip with colors not textures
CustomVertex.PositionColored[] verts = new CustomVertex.PositionColored[14];
verts[0] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(0.0f,2.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[1] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(-1.732051f,1.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[2] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(-1.732051f,-1.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[3] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(0.0f,-2.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[4] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(1.732051f,-1.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[5] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(1.732051f,1.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[6] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(0.0f,2.0f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[7] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(0.0f,1.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[8] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(-1.7f,0.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[9] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(-1.7f,-0.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[10] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(0.0f,-1.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[11] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(1.7f,-0.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[12] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(1.7f,0.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());
verts[13] = new CustomVertex.PositionColored(0.0f,1.9f,1.0f,Color.Yellow.ToArgb());

return verts;
}//end gethexverts

My numbers are pretty arbitrary. I make the assumption of a normal hex having a 4 height and then using the geometry to come up with the other dimensions. The inside hex just uses slightly smaller numbers. Frankly I was surprised this worked the first time since As far as I know you have to do every thing counterclockwise. In this case I am doing things counterclockwise but it is doing two revolutions if that makes sense. Any further comments are appreciated. I am always looking for tips. If anyoen wants to see a screenshot then let me know.

Rob
dorfsruleATyahoo.com

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement