Any Suggestions?

Started by
2 comments, last by qux 17 years, 9 months ago
I'm kind of having trouble getting started making any games (partly because it's summer and I'm in lazy mode since school is off) and also I think I'm trying to do things that I'm not ready for. The games that I've really completed are a space shooter, an asteroids remake, and a snake remake. I've gotten about half way through a frogger game, which I didn't plan thoroughly before hand and it was completely screwed up. Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good style of game that they learned a lot from and maybe worked on at my level? I'm thinking of maybe a pac-man like game, where you run around in a kind of maze level made out of tiles (I'm interested in tile-based). I'm only concerned about enemy AI. You're probably just going to say it depends on my skill level and what I want to do, but I thought it was worth asking and see if anyone remembers something they did.
Advertisement
Tetris can be a good learning experience, and if you're interested in AI you could make it two player vs either a bot or a 2nd person on the same keyboard. The important thing, though, is that you work on a project you are interested in. If you look forward to working on a game, then naturally you'll get a lot more done on it. If you really want to make a pac-man clone, do that by all means.
oh yea, I forgot about tetris. I actually got 90% complete with a clone of tetris before, but I didn't like how it turned out, and I got sidetracked with learning SDL and stuff, but I suppose I could go back with my current knowledge. thanks for reminding me.
Since you want to do something tilebased, why not try a roguelike? It will be a challenge (which is a good thing), but if you break it down into small pieces you should be OK. Not only are roguelikes babe magnets, but you'll learn alot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement