• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Few simple questions.

This topic is 4250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hello. I have few questions but not sure which is the correct forum. Anyways, here goes: -For an illustration, consider the well known game Max Payne. It's a third person view where Max can do all kinds of jumping, walking and complex motion...just like other characters in the game. I have heard this "character designing" is done in something like 3ds Max or Maya, and these characters are then imported through OpenGL( am I wrong so far?). Now, when we make 2D games, we have sprites, i.e., collections of images which when played continuously gives the illusion of motion. I don't think so, but is that the way it is done with Max Payne type characters? -In simple words, What does a Game Engine do? Since each game has different requirements, how can many games use a same engine? -I think there exist some RPG makers etc, how good an option are these things?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Quote:
I have heard this "character designing" is done in something like 3ds Max or Maya, and these characters are then imported through OpenGL( am I wrong so far?)


Well, that is sort of true. You don't really "load" models through OpenGL. You would just load the model files into memory in whatever language you are using, then you would render the geometry using OpenGL.

Quote:
Now, when we make 2D games, we have sprites, i.e., collections of images which when played continuously gives the illusion of motion. I don't think so, but is that the way it is done with Max Payne type characters?

No, Max Payne is a 3D game... everything you see is modeled, for the most part.

Quote:
In simple words, What does a Game Engine do? Since each game has different requirements, how can many games use a same engine?

A game engine abstracts away all of the graphics and sound and all of those low-level things, to some degree, and provides a framework for writing a game. This is true to different levels, and depends on which engine you're using.

Different games use the same engine by providing different content to be used by the engine.

Quote:
I think there exist some RPG makers etc, how good an option are these
things?

I guess they're okay for what they are. By the way, RPG Maker is a good, simple example of a game engine. It is an engine with tools to create your own content... I would imagine it's fairly limited (I've never used it), but the things I have heard about it surprised me, so maybe you'll like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
Quote:
Now, when we make 2D games, we have sprites, i.e., collections of images which when played continuously gives the illusion of motion. I don't think so, but is that the way it is done with Max Payne type characters?

No, Max Payne is a 3D game... everything you see is modeled, for the most part.



Well, depending on how far you care to stretch the limits, an animation in 3D is kind of the same as an animation in 2D except that in 3D, instead of a collection of images, it's a collection of transforms that indicate how to move the model. I'm not trying to correct you, what you said is right, I just wanted to help the OP conseptualize it.

-AJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by horizon981
What does a Game Engine do?


http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,594,00.asp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement