• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[java] Graphics storage

This topic is 4334 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently in the process of making a framework for building applet gmaes off of. I am using all png files for graphics right now, but I was wondering if there is a better storage format? I have been thinking about creating my own format, that would include multiple images along with other things such as animation information and the actual graphics information. I've read a couple articles here on gamedev about different PAK formats. Anyone have any suggestions or insights? Thanks

Advertisement
Pak files are usually used in C and C++ games to do two things: reduce file overhead (you only have one pak instead of all the files within it) and for compression. Instead you can just use jar files and get all that functionality for free.

Png files are fine for images (especially as they support 8bit alpha and compression). You might want to create some format for holding animations, but that could be as simple as a text file listing the images and the time for each to be displayed.

I like that idea. Just storing my frames for an animation in the file, than have a text file that lists the required animation files for each that I need with the animation information. I'll have to play around with this idea a little more. Maybe I'll just append the information to the PNG, it would require me writing my own loader, but that's not too big of a deal.

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!