"Tank Game" Team Project - First Screenshots

Started by
17 comments, last by ramboocha 17 years, 9 months ago
Hey, I just registred, and so did n4x0, just a couple of days ago. Well, we've made a tank game we'd like to show ya, not an executable, though. Remember; it's n4x0's work too... We decided only to upload screenies, cuz the game's not realy playable yet. Hope to get lots of reples anyways! :D It's a third person shooter kinda game, we havn't talked much about a theme for the game or anything, we havn't even come up with a name! (It will not be called "Tank Game".) -Which means suggestions can be kinda "wide". Screenshot #1: (menu) Screenie 1 Screenshot #2: (sky) Screenie 2 Screenshot #3: (tank/terrain) Screenie 3 Screenshot #4-5: (explosions - damn it, naxo turned on automatic shooting :P) Screenie 4 Screenie 5 As you can see we're giving it a "cartoonish" look. The contures are not a part of the textures, we're using a technique I call "3d-contures" (dunno if it has a name), if you want I could share it with you... Well... please comment! :) Thx. Ow BTW; I'm working on a Map/Terrain Editor we will modify for the game - the terrain will not be all flat in the future. :P Hope you love the graphics as much as we do... ^^
Advertisement
the game looks really great

when will there be a playable demo???
lol, the reply I get is from someone from 3dbuzz where I've already posted screenies! :P

Playable demo...? Hmm, dunno... We don't want to release stuff too often, I think it will take quite a while. More than a couple of weeks... Plus I will be going on a trip within a week, so will n4x0...

Edit: I've looked at some other threads, and everything seems to be made by profecionals, real cool stuff, it looks like people don't care about "just screenshots"... but at 3dbuzz people got crazy! :P

[Edited by - EvilCookie on July 8, 2006 4:26:27 PM]
That is pretty interesting. I would be interested in hearing more about the technology that you are using and whether it will be a Windows-only application.

Cheers and good luck.
Very nice, I really like the style. Rate++!
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Thank you!

Okay, I uploaded my explanation on "3d-contures" as a PNG :)
3d Contures.PNG

Besided that I've come up with a idea for the game! :D
(Copying from 3dbuzz :P)

---

You're not just a tank (like the ones in the screenshots) - you're the commander!
-A "special" tank.

There are 2 teams, both teams have one commander each - one leader.
If your team's commander tank is destroyed; you loose*.

Both teams have a base, in the diffrent buildings diffrent units are constantly created. The enemy will attempt to destroy your buildings.
Goal; destroy the enemy base!

There would be buildings like:

* Head Quarter - The main building, here you can upgrade your units/buildings/commander's weapons, etc. (But you wouldn't accually have to be in the HQ to update anything.)
* Construction Yard - tanks/machines are constantly created here
* Airport - helicopters are constantly created here
* Barracks - Infantry/"footmen" are constantly created here
* ...etc.

If your headquarter is destroyed; you loose*.

*this would be a game setting.

The commander can update things like the units health, dammage, etc, or enable new units to be created. It would also be possible to upgrade/get new weapons/items for the commander - like a flamethrower!
You just have to have a flamethrower!!

Since I don't want it to become a RTS; the units are created constantly - by themself. And as for the upgrading; you wouldn't have to - or be able to - upgrade too often. The main part of the game is still blowing stuff up!

Perhaps you would be able to build new buildings, or unlock the airport building as another "upgrade". But I don't want it to get too strategy game-ish!

Upgrades would cost money, and money would be given to you constantly, though cash bonuses are given when someone in your team "gets rid" of an enemy.

Hope it doesn't seem too RTS:ish, I know it doesn't have to be so...

---

I havn't talked to n4x0 about it, cuz he's on vaccation, but I hope he'll love it...
-What do you think?

Edit: Since your primary weapon is a cannon (bullets are relativly slow and they fall towards the ground) it's would be hard to shoot down an aircraft.
Another idea I have would be to have a MACHINE GUN fired with RMB! :D
Quote:As you can see we're giving it a "cartoonish" look.
The contures are not a part of the textures, we're using a technique I call "3d-contures" (dunno if it has a name)

Yes, it has a name: cell shading.

Btw, i like the idea of buildings/commander. But i dont understand one thing, you said that new units are created constantly, so, who is going to control those unit's ? AI ? Humans? What if you are 'out of humans' ? AI takes over?
Anyway, looks very interesting project, i will sure keep an eye on it!
Good luck!
No, cell-shading has to do with lightning, we however don't even use lights. Cuz cell-shading is sooo complicated... :/
The technique I was talking about was the contures.. :)

Oh, I'm very happy to hear you like the idea! :D

Yes, your team mates would be AI, just like the enemies, cuz the game is going to be single player...
Though having it in multiplayer sounds intresting. . . :)

Like one player is the commander untill he dies, then you'd switch to someone else being the commander, and you can respawn as diffrent tanks, you know, just like you have diffrent "classes" in Day of Defeat, Battlefield, etc..

Though I havn't realy done anything with sockets ("multiplayer").
I think that saying that us here at Gamedev don't care about "only screenshots" is kinda innacurate. I mean, sure, we *prefer* a playable demo, but that doesn't mean that we can' appreciate the work that has gone into something just by the screenshots. Judging by your screenshots, it looks like you've put quite a bit of work into it - and work that has paid off nicely, too. Both the art and the graphics look excellent. I thought it was 2D art when I had only seen the second screen. Then, lo and behold, it was full 3D! I really like the look of this game.

Oh, and your explanative PNG is very, well, explanative. Just to clarify one thing; you're just using front-face culling on the outline sphere, and back-face culling on the inside sphere?
(Man how you make "quotes"? Well, anyways, I'll just use quotation marks...)

---
Ezbez: "I think that saying that us here at Gamedev don't care about "only screenshots" is kinda innacurate. I mean, sure, we *prefer* a playable demo, but that doesn't mean that we can' appreciate the work that has gone into something just by the screenshots."
---

-Yeah, sorry, that came out wrong... I though I'd more attention...
Well, what I mean was that here you seem get like tons of stuff every day. So everyting doesn't get the same attention.
(But at 3dbuzz not many people are in to "advanced" game programming. That's why they got "crazy" when they saw our post. x]
But ofcourse they wanted a playable demo...)

---
Ezbez: "Both the art and the graphics look excellent. I thought it was 2D art when I had only seen the second screen. Then, lo and behold, it was full 3D! I really like the look of this game."
---

-Wow, realy?! :D
Haha, man that feels great to hear!
hehe.

A "cartoonish" look is great because it's easy to model and it looks cool. :)

Though it might lower the age of who plays the game...

---
Ezbez: "Just to clarify one thing; you're just using front-face culling on the outline sphere, and back-face culling on the inside sphere?"
---

-Yeah, you got it! Just remember that the outlines have to be scaled from the exact middle...
Well, accually, problems do accure, some times you have to fix up the contures in a modeller, ...it depends on the shapes...

Well, I'm leaving tomorrow and I'll be gone for about a week... cya y'all! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement