• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
edwinnie

updating freq of shadowmaps

This topic is 4483 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! I jus wanna know how often shadowmaps are updated per second? So far, I remember there were implementations that caches them. Additionally, I wonder if there are implementations that cut the light frustums so that only useful regions of the shadowmap are set to be updated? It would seem that combining these useful regions into a coherent region for updating might be a possibility. thx! Edwin

Advertisement
It seems to me like both your ideas (only calculating lightmaps every x seconds, and breaking the lightmaps into different sections), dont go together. If you only calculate lightmaps every xth of a second (like you should), AND you only calculate whats inside the view frustum, what happens when you spin your head fast? All those sectors that havent been calculated in ages need to be updated ALL at once, causing some serious stutter.

Imo you should render the ENTIRE lightmap at once. Break the calculations up into a que and do it over time, but I would advise against breaking the light maps themselves into 'visible' sectors. Maybe a highres/lowres light map would be a good comprimise (based on camera distance, not angle).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!