• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Where to get assembly?

This topic is 4248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Don't do direct assembly language programming myself, but the software you need is called an assembler. It translates assembly into machine instructions. Google pulls up this. Looks promising

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone5/index.htm

Choose the processor you want to code for and look for development tools

Before asking where you can get assembly, you might want to ask yourself, Why assembly?

Just what are you wanting to learn assembly for? (it is a somewhat useful skill, like archery is today. People are impressed that you can do it, but only if you can do it well, but for a lot of things it is fairly useless)

You can go with the MS masm assembler:
masm
(There should be other versions of this assembler that does not require VC++ express)
Im not sure about this but I think version 7 is independent of the SDK framework.

Also you might want to get a IDE for ease of use:
WinAsm

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by pulpfist
Also you might want to get a IDE for ease of use:
WinAsm

ofcourse ease of use when it comes to assembly languages should be called: "Less pain to use"

If you want to start to learn assembly programming I really recommend this book:
Assembly Language Step-by-Step

Jeff Duntemann uses nasm, which is a free assembly compiler, to teach linux and dos assembly programming. A great read if you want to learn more about it.

Check out nasm.

I use nasm and djgpp for low level DOS programming, though you can link nasm's object files into almost any C/C++ compiler.

However, I've never actually had to do asm on a game that I've produced.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement