• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
I_Smell_Tuna

[web] Value of a Point of Sales Website

This topic is 4510 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking about investing a few months of my time to create a website for point of sales, then selling this off to businesses so I can fund my game. But I'm not sure how much something like that is worth. A few hundred, maybe even a few thousand? I plan on developing it with PHP and MySQL, categories, child-categories, credit card processing, order tracking, search engine, product rating, just about everything your typical online retailers website should offer. Lets start the bidding at $1000?

Advertisement
Maybe your talking about being a bit of a Freelancer? I would suggest going to that site, they have pretty much everything (including websites with who knows what). You can see what other people are willing to pay, and then you will get a picture of what you can charge.

Quote:
I_Smell_Tuna
Lets start the bidding at $1000?

I hope you don't mean for us to bid, you may find a couple willing, but most people here won't/can't buy a whole website.

I believe what you're going to find is that many people have already beat you to the punch. I'm not sure how familiar you are with POS processing, but there is actually quite a bit involved and there are already several websites out there where you can obtain an account, and track your orders through the site. If you want to finance your game (assuming its a web-based game), I'd recommend using banner ads. If done correctly, they will not interfear with game play, and can generate substantial revenue (pleanty enough to cover server cost if you have enough people).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
I was thinking about investing a few months of my time to create a website for point of sales, then selling this off to businesses so I can fund my game. But I'm not sure how much something like that is worth.

Its worth: FREE
http://www.oscommerce.com/

sorry, you'be been beaten to the punch

Open Source Commerce is actually quite good, I used it once for a job when I was working as php/sql admin...

It does basically everything you described, its based on php and mysql, has categories with nesting child categories,
handles CC processing, as well as order tracking, automatic emails to the customer and shipping warehouse, has search feature
as well as product popularity rating reports, customer spending habit reports
and probably a few other things I dont remember atm...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!