• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kieren_j

Music Question: XM Files?

This topic is 6839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It does MIDI.

DX7 can (indirectly) do MP3, if you don't mind streaming off the hard drive.

From what I know, it can't do any tracked formats (S3M/XM/IT/whatever). There are commercial libs that do, but they're not cheap (lowest one I've found is $900).

There's a free lib (w/source) called MIKMOD but at first glance it seems rather primitive to me.

I would gladly pay $$$ for a tool that takes an XM/S3M/IT file and converts it to DirectMusic's format.

If anyone knows of such a thing, let me know.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

[This message has been edited by mason (edited October 25, 1999).]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I know that this is a brute force solution, but here goes:

A cheap and easy way to get an XM or similar to play in DirectX is to convert it to a wav file and play it on a loop.

I know that some games do this, but wav files can get quite big, and you need to make sure that your song loops naturally.

oh well.

There is also a C++ library named SEAL (open source).
You can use it with VC++, DJGPP, Borland etc.
But it doesn't play .IT files.

I use MIDAS for sound effects and music in Paintball NET .

It has a Shareware license that provides a nice "step" to their commerical license.

I haven't heard of any new development on MIDAS for over a year, though, and it's Impulse Tracker (.IT) support is only marginal.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

Personally I prefer SEAL to the others, because it is very portable, and it seems more feature rich than Midas.

If you're only interested in Windows development, there are some other choices also. The FMOD library is supposed to be extremely fast, at www.zip.com.au/~fl. I just downloaded a new API called GAUDIO at http://idf.net/gods/sommaire.html, which plays tracker formats as well as mpegs. I haven't implemented these 2 at all, but they sound about as good as the others.

By the way, all tracker players should support digital sounds effects also, so you don't need any other sound APIs (like DSound), and these players are generally more efficient anyway.

Rock

SEAL is released under the GNU lesser general public license.
There isn't an URL included so you just have to find it using yahoo.com (altavista is a disaster).
It uses a DLL for win32 and libraries for MS-DOS programming languages (DJGPP, WATCOM, BORLAND).

I'm using MIDAS to play some s3m/xm/mod-Songs and WAV-Files.
But I'm still looking for an free library which can decode and play MP3 files. I think that there is none.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!