Anonymous Poster

Started by
27 comments, last by Kest 17 years, 9 months ago
Can we give AP's names? Would it be possible to simply name them 'Anonymous Poster' when the name field remains empty? A special name color could be reserved for them, similar to GDNet+ users, to show that they are APs. It can get very confusing when several APs reply in one thread, and sometimes impossible to know who you're actually talking to. A lot of users add their name to the bottom of the posts, but I don't understand why they are not allowed to have a normal reply post name. Remaining nameless doesn't hurt the AP, it hurts everyone. Just asking nicely. Thanks for the great forums.
Advertisement
I would quite like to see the IP address posted next to each anonymous post.
We actually had optional name fields way way way back when, where people could put in a name instead of being just an anonymous poster.

Personally, I'm against the idea of reinstituting that as it's not as if you need to put any personal information in when you sign up for an account as it is. If you want a name, then it's not hard to get one without giving out any information about yourself anyways.
Just thought there should be at least one AP in this thread :)
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
I would quite like to see the IP address posted next to each anonymous post.

You should already see that, no?
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Personally, I'm against the idea of reinstituting that as it's not as if you need to put any personal information in when you sign up for an account as it is. If you want a name, then it's not hard to get one without giving out any information about yourself anyways.

I just think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. A replying AP is almost always trying to provide a response to the topic (they can't start topics), and will not obtain anything for their effort. Not even recognition. That's about as close to a real hero as you get. No one even knows who it was that layed their personally achieved knowledge out for free grabs. And that's a big thing. Helpful posters make this place tick.

Why not ask for their name? That way, the forum is promoting recognition for helpful posters, and not forcing them to beg for recognition with a post-end name. Are you sure you want to bother them to register, wait for email notifications, etc, just so they can get recognition for helping someone? Shouldn't registering be for those of us who need their help, and need to start topics to ask for information?

If it's difficult to implement, I still appreciate your time to think about it.
The multiple AP thing can sometimes get confusing. Maybe some way to auto format as AP1 AP2... based
off the IP the posts were from? Noone has to see who/whatIP the post came from,
but the multiple AP's could be distinguished.
Quote:Original post by KulSeran
The multiple AP thing can sometimes get confusing. Maybe some way to auto format as AP1 AP2... based
off the IP the posts were from? Noone has to see who/whatIP the post came from,
but the multiple AP's could be distinguished.

That's not reliable. Two APs from the same company or school would be presented as the same person.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This idea is maybe somewhat too technically challenging to be a wise solusion.

A hash of a cookie on the user system is used to make each post uniqe to the computer posting it, even different users logged in on the computer would have seperate cookies. Only problem would be public computers where every user would share the same cookie.
In our college's official forums, anonymous posters can chose their name and they can even create topics. While the latter is problematic, former isn't. Although, what prevents another anonymous poster for bearing false witness?
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

Documentation? "We are writing games, we don't have to document anything".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement