Anonymous Poster

Started by
27 comments, last by Kest 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Toni Petrina
In our college's official forums, anonymous posters can chose their name and they can even create topics. While the latter is problematic, former isn't. Although, what prevents another anonymous poster for bearing false witness?

Well, most of the boards that I go to that allow non registered users (in this case, Anonymous Posters), have it so that they're name just isn't linkable.

See how you can click on a persons name here? If they entered John Doe, it would appear as John Doe rather than John Doe. As for bearing false witness against other AP's, what's to stop doing that now?

Adding things like cookies or IP addresses gets into a few more problems, because not all IPs are static, and I remember at my last job, cookies were forbidden on computers, making me an AP every time I responded to a post.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kest
Why not ask for their name? That way, the forum is promoting recognition for helpful posters, and not forcing them to beg for recognition with a post-end name. Are you sure you want to bother them to register, wait for email notifications, etc, just so they can get recognition for helping someone? Shouldn't registering be for those of us who need their help, and need to start topics to ask for information?

From my point of view it's more a case of leaving the option of not registering for those who specifically don't want an account. If people want recognition (which they can still have in an effectively anonymous fashion with an account), then surely a one-time registration is less hassle than having to re-enter a name every time they post?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I dont think registering would be a problem if it were a little less complex. Well, GDnet's is very good compared to others, but I think that one where you enter your desired username, password, and say what the fuzzy characters are would suffice. It's the "valid email address for verification", "phone number", "address", "that is not a real place! Please enter a valid address" things that are annoying. Even if the 'account' was only open for a month or so, at least they would have a name, and no one could pretend to be them.

Anywho, I'm done.
I completely understand the pain envolved with registering. If registering were too easy, demented users (60% of the internet) could use it to attack or spam the forums very effectively.

But if allowing APs to type in a name is easy to implement, I really don't see how anything bad could come of it. They could even be listed as "AP: Name" or "Anonymous Poster: Name".

Oh well, thanks for at least considering it.
If APs can't be bothered to sign their posts [which is more than sufficient to follow a thread with multiple APs], then what makes you think they could be bothered to chose a unique name to use when posting? Allowing anonymous names just seems like extra work with no discernable gain and a lot of room for abuse.

CM
But if allowing APs to type in a name is easy to implement, I really don't see how anything bad could come of it. They could even be listed as "AP: Name" or "Anonymous Poster: Name".

The thing that worries me about that sort of thing if it's not 100% reliable - and without authentication it will never be 100% reliable - is that the name displayed at the top of a post is almost 'sanctioned' by GDNet. People won't be so readily considering the possibility that it's not accurate as they would if it were, say, a signature within the post area itself.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by Mushu
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
I would quite like to see the IP address posted next to each anonymous post.

You should already see that, no?

I do, but I meant that ordinary users should see it too.
I don't really see what the problem is. If they want their names on their posts then they can either put it at the bottom of the posts or register.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by DigiDude
I don't really see what the problem is. If they want their names on their posts then they can either put it at the bottom of the posts or register.

AP: I'm an expert at this. But are you using blit mappers or hard surfaces?

Me: I'm using blit mappers.

AP: i would store the data to file first

Me: Awesome! Thanks, whoever you are! I won't note the lower case 'I' or lack of period as a clue to anything! Bye bye!

AP: Original post by AP
i would store the data to file first

Blit mappers can't be stored to file. You'll have to convert to hard surface first.

Me: *Happily coding away*

Oh well, I can't complain. I owe a lot to this place. Thanks for listening to me.
AP: I'm an expert at this. But are you using blit mappers or hard surfaces?

Me: I'm using blit mappers.

AP: i would store the data to file first

Me: Awesome! Thanks, whoever you are! I won't note the lower case 'I' or lack of period as a clue to anything! Bye bye!

AP: Original post by AP
i would store the data to file first

Blit mappers can't be stored to file. You'll have to convert to hard surface first.

Me: *Happily coding away*

Oh well, I can't complain. I owe a lot to this place. Thanks for listening to me.

The problem with that, of course, is that you're accepting advice from a completely anonymous, self-proclaimed 'expert' on the internet without questioning their reasoning. [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement