• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kest

Anonymous Poster

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:
Original post by DigiDude
I don't really see what the problem is. If they want their names on their posts then they can either put it at the bottom of the posts or register.

AP: I'm an expert at this. But are you using blit mappers or hard surfaces?

Me: I'm using blit mappers.

AP: i would store the data to file first

Me: Awesome! Thanks, whoever you are! I won't note the lower case 'I' or lack of period as a clue to anything! Bye bye!

AP: Original post by AP
i would store the data to file first

Blit mappers can't be stored to file. You'll have to convert to hard surface first.

Me: *Happily coding away*

Oh well, I can't complain. I owe a lot to this place. Thanks for listening to me.
Wow, I can't believe I forgot about that! I was thinking about people just wanting their names in their posts or something like that.

Advertisement
i actually post quite a bit as AP, and like posting as AP because on my other machine i can never seem to remember my gamedev password and i'm to lazy to retrieve it. so being nameless as you call it actually helps me as without AP, i dont' think i'd post half the time. to solve confusion among APs, helpful users should do what i do... i usually put a Y-Go or YG or something at the bottom (and, of course, people who want to inject a personal opinion about something shouldn't he he he).

Quote:
Original post by superpig
The problem with that, of course, is that you're accepting advice from a completely anonymous, self-proclaimed 'expert' on the internet without questioning their reasoning. [smile]

Now come on SP, friendly registered users can very easily be just as lacking in the expert department. The user rating on GameDev, IMO, is more of a sense of how well one presents oneself.

Honestly, this is how I first percieve people based on rating:

0-950: Non-native English or really bad temper.
950-1000: Misunderstood or bad choice of wording.
1000-1200: Normal users.
1200-1300: Well liked or helpful (anyone's guess as to which).
1300-1500: Well liked or helpful, and never seems to log off from GameDev.
1500+: Moderator or staff, or might as well be staff.

I will admit that it is less likely to get bad advice from highly rated users, but that's mostly because they fear being wrong or majorly disagreed with about as badly as dying. That also means they won't even reply unless they are 100% positive they won't go against the majority. And that means less responses when you just need some opinions or direction. An AP is totally free of all of these bounds.

Way off subject, but I just wanted to detail how APs are just as useful as the most elite registered users.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Way off subject, but I just wanted to detail how APs are just as useful as the most elite registered users.

Uh, I think you completely missed my point...

My point was that when getting advice like in your example, you should never be content to accept a "do XYZ" answer: you should always be looking for people to explain why they recommend you "do XYZ." Using techniques and decisions made by other people without understanding why they've been made is an extremely bad idea, because you can't meaningfully change what you don't understand.

A registered user can fit the description of "anonymous, self-proclaimed expert" just as easily as an unregistered one. Just because somebody is highly rated doesn't mean you should accept everything they say; in fact, it's sort of the opposite, because they tend to be the people most willing to help you gain a deeper understanding of what they're telling you.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:
Original post by DigiDude
I don't really see what the problem is. If they want their names on their posts then they can either put it at the bottom of the posts or register.

AP: I'm an expert at this. But are you using blit mappers or hard surfaces?

Me: I'm using blit mappers.

AP: i would store the data to file first

Me: Awesome! Thanks, whoever you are! I won't note the lower case 'I' or lack of period as a clue to anything! Bye bye!

AP: Original post by AP

Blit mappers can't be stored to file. You'll have to convert to hard surface first.

Me: *Happily coding away*

Oh well, I can't complain. I owe a lot to this place. Thanks for listening to me.

What does this have to do with giving APs names? If the first AP had had "Superl337 [Anonymous Poster]" instead of just "Anonymous Poster", would his advice have been more sound? Of course not. All that it would have done is make the very last post slightly less confusing...but so would this:
Quote:

Quote:
Original post by AP (not me)
Superl337

george

But neither AP bothered to put their name in the post...so why would they bother to put their name in the Name field? Clearly, they do not care about not being confusing. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

CM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Kest
"Anonymous Poster: Name"

I'm not sure about you, but I think that would make me not nearly so anonymous as my name suggests.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/profile.asp?mode=display&id=0
I am an enigma wrapped in a mystery....

Quote:
Original post by superpig
Uh, I think you completely missed my point...

My point was that when getting advice like in your example, you should never be content to accept a "do XYZ" answer: you should always be looking for people to explain why they recommend you "do XYZ."

Oh. But then that has nothing to do with anonymous posters..? I was just trying to describe an example of how easy it can be to mix up AP users. You're totally correct, I wouldn't normally march off to change a bunch of code without knowing why the information is the right choice. I was trying to get a laugh or two while I made the point, but I guess I failed miserably.

Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
What does this have to do with giving APs names? If the first AP had had "Superl337 [Anonymous Poster]" instead of just "Anonymous Poster", would his advice have been more sound? Of course not.

The second AP post is from a different AP. My 'character' in 'the little play' thought it was the same AP. It does make a difference. Personally, I would love to know who is who when I'm discussing something with several people.

Quote:
But neither AP bothered to put their name in the post...so why would they bother to put their name in the Name field? Clearly, they do not care about not being confusing. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Absolutely incorrect. Check out any anonymous board on the internet that allows users to input a name. You'll never see a nameless post. Sometimes they'll even make up a new one for each topic, but keep it or a similar version of it for each subsequent reply, for exactly this reason. To be honest, I'm not really sure why APs on GameDev don't normally include a sign off name. But they just don't.

Personally, I think anonymous posts should have a name, but for a completely different purpose.
On some computers, I don't feel that entering any logon information for ANYTHING is a good idea. For example, certain computers at my school are infested with malware (some of it in the name of 'admin utilities') that probably logs keystrokes and records passwords.
However, I still want to post whatever it is I'd like to say, so I post it as AP. Often, I'll notice some mistake in the post later on, and would like to correct the mistake, but cannot because the post was anonymous.
A nice modification would be to allow a person to post (in those forums that AP is allowed) by entering a name but not a password. The post could be shown with the name (in some modified way, such as a different color) or without one. Either way, the system would allow a person logged in with the corresponding name to claim a post, which would cause it to become owned by the logged in user as if they had been logged in when the post was made (giving them permission to edit the post, changing the name to link to their profile, etc).

This would allow posts to be made on such 'compromised' systems without losing the ability to later edit the post to make corrections. It would add more data to be stored for anonymous posts, but that could be as little as a table linking post IDs to account IDs along with a timestamp that causes the entry to expire after some amount of time.

I believe most anonymous boards just allow users to input an optional special number code that allows editing and deleting the post.

Although the types of users who think to include one are probably a lot less likely to need to edit the post [wink]

Special note: I've edited this extremely small message three times.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!