RAM, DXT, Help please

Started by
6 comments, last by JohnyCage 17 years, 9 months ago
PLEASE PEOPLE…HELP ME… I read this article about the DXT : http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealTexturing EXTRACT.: * Eight-bit Palettized P8 textures, as they are denoted in the editor, are the same 8-bit palettized (256 color) textures used in the build 436 engine and earlier ("Unreal" and "Unreal Tournament" timeframe). Even though they are uploaded to the video card as a full 32-bit RGBA texture, when properly quantized a P8 can look identical to the original 24-bit source art, while still offering a 75% savings in disk and system memory. P8 textures offer 1-bit alpha in the form of a mask color. If a texture is imported as masked, color index 0 is set as transparent. Once you palettize your texture, you'll need to edit your 256-color image and apply color zero to the transparent portions of the texture. * MY QUESTION, EXAMPLE: I have a picture (256*256px).. How much ram will be used…if i will use „Eight-bit Palettized „ Thanx very much.
Advertisement
Don't bother. The graphics driver will simply expand it to 32 bit ARGB anyway.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Don't bother. The graphics driver will simply expand it to 32 bit ARGB anyway.

okok..but they wrote:

while still offering a 75% savings in disk and SYSTEM MEMORY.
Quote:I have a picture (256*256px).. How much ram will be used…if i will use „Eight-bit Palettized „

66304 bytes.
I'm pretty sure 'memory' in this context refers to 'disk space' since, as Promit said, the driver will just wedge the 32-bit version in primary memory. Since 8 is a quarter of 32, there's your 75% savings.

What kind of memory limits are you under that you need an 8-bit indexed colour texture?

As for your size question, if you have a 256 x 256 texture with eight bits per pixel... well, you have 256 * 256 * 8 = 524288 bits = 65536 bytes = 64 kilobytes. On top of that there's probably some header information or something.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
I'm pretty sure 'memory' in this context refers to 'disk space' since, as Promit said, the driver will just wedge the 32-bit version in primary memory. Since 8 is a quarter of 32, there's your 75% savings.

What kind of memory limits are you under that you need an 8-bit indexed colour texture?

As for your size question, if you have a 256 x 256 texture with eight bits per pixel... well, you have 256 * 256 * 8 = 524288 bits = 65536 bytes = 64 kilobytes. On top of that there's probably some header information or something.

Summary.:

*pic: 256*256px -> PNG, JPG, BMP (8,16 or 32bit) -> 256Kb RAM in DirectX used.
*pic: 256*256px -> DXT, 8bit -> 64Kb RAM in DirectX used

IS IT TRUE OR FALSE ?

thanx for patience :-)

Quote:Original post by JohnyCage

Summary.:

IS IT TRUE OR FALSE ?

Kilobytes (KB) are different from Kilobits (Kb).

But based on what Promit said, the first condition (256KB) is the correct one.
Quote:Original post by JohnyCage

Summary.:

IS IT TRUE OR FALSE ?

Kilobytes (KB) are different from Kilobits (Kb).

But based on what Promit said, the first condition (256KB) is the correct one.

hmm...than the second condition is incorrect ?we can read :

a quotation from.: http://vvvv.org/tiki-print.php?page=HowTo%20Prepare%20Textures

"If you want to load a very large number of textures its recommended to choose a compressed texture memory format to save RAM space."

How much ram is it...If the second condition is the incorrect ??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement