Controling a game with sound.

Started by
13 comments, last by stenny 17 years, 9 months ago
I thought of a fun little game I think I would want to make. A drag racing game where you control the acceleration and gear shifting with your voice. So the user makes with thier voice the sound of a car accerating. And the better they match their voice to the acceration of the vehicle the faster it accelerates. I would make this just becuase I think it would be kinda funny to watch being controlled with voice. What are your ideas? What do you this of this idea? What other games would you think would be fun to play with your voice?
Advertisement
Heh, here's a game that won't tie you to your computer for hours on end. I don't know how hard it is to achieve this technically speaking, but it sounds like a funky idea. It is rather gimmicky, like eye-toy or karaoke. Half of the fun lies in making a complete fool of yourself. Karaoke transcends just being gimmicky because singing is something worthwhile getting good at (practicing your voice is a valuable skill in my book) and eye-toy has a wild array of games: Each is a gimmick, but because there's so many gimmicks you don't get bored soon.

To define what I mean by gimmick: Something that attracts attention straigth away, but offers little real value by itself... like cucumber. It's refreshing, it looks tasty but there's little more than water in it.

Let's say you make this racing game little more like mario kart / death rally, just because I think combat racing games are more strategically interesting. Then you would pickup items here and there and you would have to say things like 'activate rocket' 'acquire lockon!' 'fire!'
You don't have to to lockon, if you think you can hit without a guided missile system, because locking on costs time. And of course if you land in a ditch or are very badly damaged you have to call for 'Help!' possibly repeatedly.

There's a chance such a game would do good with gaming groups that now play donkey konga or guitar hero. Of course in the set-up you have to tie the voice to the different actions, much like configuring keyboard keys. That this allows players to say things like 'activate penis!' 'use condom!' and 'sperm attack!' is none of your business. Jack Thompson won't like it. But who cares? The neighbours will laugh their arses off.
We humans use sound basicly for speaking or singing. A game that involves speaking or singing in the same tone and speed that people is used to, could be done.

But controlling an action game with voice, feels like a lot of people will have sore throats.
LOL I would play it
I think this would be great fun =D

What about a game where you have to make train noises in the proper time to keep your train moving along? (Chka-chucka Chka-chucka Chka-chucka choo choooo!)

Or dirt bike racing (nyeeeeeeeee-nyeeeeeeeeeeee-ny-nyeeeeeeeeeeee). If you could steer by tilting your head and back up by making truck-backing-up-noises (beeeeE! beeeeE! beeeeE!), then so much the better.

Hahahahaha, this would be THE most annoying game that has ever been created (for the people around you).

Absolutely hilarious =D
http://sexualmorality.proboards91.com
So many possibilities *grins in amusement*

Duck hunting (you have to make duck noises because you don't have the decoy ^_^)

Karate game where each move is tied to a different exclamation (hiii-ya! allyoop? =P)

Gunfire (instead of clicking, you yell POW! (or BANG! for alternative fire) preferably in your opponent's ear)

Magic words! (this would be most fun in combination with the Wii-mote or a similar device) In this case, shoddy voice-detection is not a bad technology, because it makes players talk slow and clear and powerfully, instead of slurring, which seems appropriate for magic words.

New Anchor: The Teleprompter Game (yus!)

EDIT:

The Villain Laugh Game (muahahahahaha!)

Robots that are controlled with bleeps and bloops.

Wow, this is the perfect present for your best friend *or* your worst enemy.
(At Christmas: "Oh come on, try it right now, everyone is watching! *toothy, frozen smile*)
Or a game where you have to race hot air ballons by blowing into the microphone.

Sound-based games, the world's leading producer of dizziness and sore throats!

Each game you buy comes with a bag of Halls.

[Edited by - GBPaxton on July 19, 2006 8:40:13 AM]
Might be the first time that replays come in the form of mp3's
That sounds like a great idea! :D

It could be a lot more accessible than a normal game controller, both to non-gamers and to people who are paralyzed in their arms.

Quote:Original post by Dunam
Let's say you make this racing game little more like mario kart / death rally, just because I think combat racing games are more strategically interesting. Then you would pickup items here and there and you would have to say things like 'activate rocket' 'acquire lockon!' 'fire!'
That's a good idea, but instead of actually saying 'activate rocket' you should make the sound of a rocket firing. And for steering, make turning noises (whatever those are). That would be so much fun!
"i can burp the abc! *Aaahhh*, *Bbbeeeehhh*, *Ccceeehhhh*" - Over the Hedge.

i don't even want to try to think about game controls by burping..

*SMILE*
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement