[C++] Lightweight container

Started by
13 comments, last by ToohrVyk 17 years, 8 months ago
I need a data structure that provides the following:
  • Insert an element into the structure: this returns an integer index, which can then be used to access this element.
  • Remove the element corresponding to an index.
I need the above in constant-time, amortized constant-time works too. I would like it to be as memory-friendly as possible.
Advertisement
As soon as you remove an element, all the indices following it will be invalid. I think the closest you'll get is a hash map.
How about pairing a std::list<T> with a std::vector< std::list<T>::iterator >?

const index_t insert(const T& item){  // iter = insert item into list [constant-time?]  // vector.push_back(iter) [might resize vector...]  // return vector.size() -1 [constant-time?]}T& operator[](const index_t index) // plus const version...{  // check vector[index] is valid [could be simple]  // return *(vector[index]) [constant-time]}void remove(const index_t index){  // check vector[index] is valid [could be simple]  // list.erase( vector[index] ) [constant-time?]  // invalidate vector[index] [could be simple]}

...plus some optimizations to pool and re-use invalidated indices (unless you don't care about them). You could use a special value for invalid indices, which would make validation checks and invalidation very simple and fast to boot.

This solution seems a little simple to me though... I haven't applied much thought to the complexity of the individual operations, as I'm rather sleepy. Ah well... I'll post it anyway; at worst I'm being stupid again! [grin]

[Edit: what exactly do you mean by "Remove the element corresponding to an index"? Do all higher indices get shuffled down one? If so, then you'll also need to shuffle the objects at vector[index+1..vector.size()-1] down one place, which could be nasty.]
Quote:Original post by ajones
[Edit: what exactly do you mean by "Remove the element corresponding to an index"? Do all higher indices get shuffled down one? If so, then you'll also need to shuffle the objects at vector[index+1..vector.size()-1] down one place, which could be nasty.]

Thank you for your proposition, this sounds like a good idea (with an additional linked list of indices for pooling, for instance).

As for your edit, an index is intended to be stable, and not change as soon as anothr element is removed. If I could allow indices to change, a single vector would be enough (using swap-and-pop).
If you liked my idea, then boost's multi-index containers might be of further interest.
If you _only_ need the features you mentioned, and not, say, iteration, the answer's easy ;)

Obj* myObj = new Obj; // myObj now holds your index

// Constant time access:
*myObj....

but I guess that's probably not what you're looking for.
Quote:Original post by jtrask
If you _only_ need the features you mentioned, and not, say, iteration, the answer's easy ;)

Obj* myObj = new Obj; // myObj now holds your index

// Constant time access:
*myObj....

but I guess that's probably not what you're looking for.

Duh... It could be, in fact, assuming that I can convert between a pointer and an integer safely. But you're right, I basically described an allocator :)
I do not believe what you described can be done without presuming a limit on the number of objects.

Let's assume you have a limit on the number of objects, "K". Say K=2^64.

A std::map takes no more than O(ln(K)) = O(64) = O(1) time to add/remove/delete any element in the map.

Yes, that was a smart ass answer.

---

Ok, let's assume you don't want a std::map. You can also use hash-maps (which are "constant" time, yet stop performing well as you add more elements @_@), the standard-C memory allocator, or a number of other techniques. I am not aware of a constant-time search algoritm that doesn't have a hardware or algorithm-based limit to the number of elements it can store.

Remember, operator+ takes O(ln(n)) time for a number of size n. On small numbers (less than 2^32) you can use a hardware implementation that does it in constant time, but for big numbers it takes much longer.
What about a std::set?

// say object is the class you want to holdtypedef std::set<object> object_set;typedef typename object_set::iterator object_iterator;object_set mySet;object_iterator index1 = mySet.insert(object()).first;object_iterator index2 = mySet.insert(object()).first;

The reason for the .first stuff is that std::set::insert returns a std::pair<iterator,bool>, with the iterator being the iterator (i.e: index) to the element in the set, and the bool being whether or not the new element was inserted. If the bool is false, it means that an element with that value already existed in the set.

If you need a set that can contain multiple instances of the same value, use a std::multiset instead.
daerid@gmail.com
This can be done with a simple std::vector adapter. Insertion will be amortized constant time (It may need to reallocate if it's bigger now that it has ever been before, just like std::vector) but removal will be constant time. Unfortunatly, it won't be able to give you random-access iterators, because of the non continous indexes. Actually, I haven't thought much about how it would supply the iterators at all. But it might give you some ideas.

The code would look something like
template<typename T>class SparseVector{private:   std::vector<T*> data;   int first_free;public:   SparseVector() : first_free(-1) {}   int insert(const T& t)   {      size_t spot = first_free;      if (spot == -1)      {         spot = data.size();         data.push_back(t);         return spot;      }      first_free = static_cast<int>(data[spot]);      data[spot] = t;      return spot;   }   void remove(size_t spot)   {      static_cast<int>(data[spot]) = first_free;      first_free = spot;   }};

What I did was maintain a list of free nodes right inside the vector of pointers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement