Sign in to follow this  

game engines....

This topic is 4162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A friend and I, were thinking of developing an FPS. We both have a lot of experience with computers, and know some web-languages such as html and PHP, but have only tampered with coding languages. This is the reason we would like to use an engine. I have a few questions first though. 1. I'm still a little confused on how an engine works though. Do you just edit source code of other games or does the engine have some sort of visual editor? 2. Which free engine would you guys reccomend? Thanx!

Hi,

No most free engines provide an API, which means you can use the engine functions inside your own code. It depends on what engine you choose what the language is, because different engines provide API's for different languages, while some provide some sort of scripting language.

So if you are just starting out i would look for an engine that can be used in either java or python.

You can always make your own engine, if you want a cool project to work on some time :)

Greetings...

Quote:
Original post by S-Rave
You could use Fps creator (http://www.fpscreator.com/), though it's not free (pretty cheap though). Or you could make a mod. :)

i don't really want to use a drag and drop kind of thing. i would rather go all the way and do it the hard way. does anyone else have any answers to my first few questions?

Quote:
Original post by cwncool
Quote:
Original post by S-Rave
You could use Fps creator (http://www.fpscreator.com/), though it's not free (pretty cheap though). Or you could make a mod. :)

i don't really want to use a drag and drop kind of thing. i would rather go all the way and do it the hard way.

Why?

If you want to code your own game using an engine, you still have to learn the language you call the engine from. This will take more time than you would probably think, and if you skip ahead, you will drown in a sea of confusion.

To speed things up, you could use a simple language like Python or Lua (which some engines have bindings for), or perhaps somthing like TorqueScript.

Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Original post by cwncool
Quote:
Original post by S-Rave

i don't really want to use a drag and drop kind of thing. i would rather go all the way and do it the hard way.

Why?

well, i guess I sort of wanted to learn. I guess i can try some "drag and drop" type editors. what are some other editors like that?

Since you are new to programming, you have a long journey ahead. Since you have never written a game before, don't start with a FPS. Pick an easy starting language like python, and make a number guessing game.

A FPS game engine has 3D Graphics, Sound, Networking, Scripting, AI, various controller Input, and other complex code routines. If you want a taste of a modern game engine. Go to ID software's web-page and download the source for Quake. And spend the next several day's reading it, and yes, I have read it.

The way you learn how to write games, is start small, and work your way up to the harder stuff. After you write your number guessing game, try making tic-tac-toe game. Then try a Tetris clone. As you start a new project, add more features to your games.

Since you are new to this, and you don't know C++, start with python, and use pygame for your 2D graphics. You also need to learn game theory and logic along your journey.

Here is a test to see if you are ready for an FPS game, can you calculate the path of a projectile, and then write a game to simulate it. And No, the projectile does not follow a straight line.

Dark Basic is ok, but I've never seen a "real" game done with it. So it's kind of a playground for script kiddies. If you wanna do that, then it's OK.Another on is Blitz Basic. They both have plenty of demos, FPS's too, IIRC.

As mentioned above, a 3d game such as an FPS is a very complex piece of software. It takes 5-10 years of programming to become good enough to write one from scratch. So no way you're going to succeed down this path.

Using a 3d engine is a lot easier. There are several available, such as Ogre and Irrlicht. One nice one is Luxinia (http://www.luxinia.de/), which has the graphics and audio stuff and is based on the Lua scripting language. However, writing a game using a 3d engine is not that much easier. You need a solid knowledge on programming and how 3d engines work. No offence, but you're not good enough for this either, if you havn't been programming before (real programming, not web scripting, etc).

If you want to do "your own" FPS quickly, you should do modding. Take Quake3/Enemy Territory, Unreal or Half-Life and write a mod. Modern 3d games allow you to mod them to pretty much anything from shooting to auto racing and hot air balloon duelling (air buccaneers mod for unreal). This is the best you can do without proper programming.

On the other hand, if you want to be a real game developer, doing your own engines and stuff, you will have to take the long way. Yes, that is learning programming, writing number guessing games, tic-tac-toe, tetris clones, pong clones and gradually work your way into bigger and better games and eventually 3d and stuff. There is no shortcut, everyone who have tried have failed.

It took me 10 years of programming (started at age 10) to become good enough to write a 3d engine that sucks.

-Riku

well, I'd like to learn basic as a base programming language and maybe some python. I'm thinking of getting dark basic and start learning BASIC by writing small programs in it and writing small python programs in pygame, so that way when I get good enough, i can use it to tamper with 3d, or would you reccomend blitzbasic. The only reason i wanted to do dark basic instead of blitz basic is because it seems as if it has more tutorials and examples...

Why do you want to mess with Python, if you're going to do a game with Dark Basic, that's just confusing yourself.

Python is a real programming language, you maybe should learn it properly and forget about {dark,blitz} basic if you want to be a real programmer.

Dark Basic and Blitz basic aren't that much of programming languages. They are more like a scripting facility in a 3d engine. Something like doing mods for games.

Choose a path that suits you better (I recommend learn real programming, be a real programmer and forget about 3d for a couple of years), then go that path, don't waste time with trying to learn a thousand things in twentry one days. That's just not going to happen.

-Riku

This topic is 4162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.