I need proggramming tutorials that actually teach me

Started by
102 comments, last by M2tM 17 years, 8 months ago
i so far only know C but i hope to learn the following with 1 year Java C C# C++ Visual Studio .NET SQL Max Script DirectX 9 DirectX 10 Direct3D Shader Technologies Ashli Technical Design Documents (TDD) AAA MMOG Multi-core architectures Real-time Physics 3D Studio Max 3D Studio Max SDK Softimage Maya Linux Networking 3jane Renderware API OpenGL D3D STL Vista Perl Havok AI UI FX OOD OOP SQL
Advertisement
Moved to For Beginners.
??????
Quote:Original post by xanados
i so far only know C but i hope to learn the following with 1 year
Java
C
C#
C++
Visual Studio
.NET
SQL
Max Script
DirectX 9
DirectX 10
Direct3D
Shader Technologies
Ashli
Technical Design Documents (TDD)
AAA
MMOG
Multi-core architectures
Real-time Physics
3D Studio Max
3D Studio Max SDK
Softimage
Maya
Linux
Networking
3jane
Renderware
API
OpenGL
D3D
STL
Vista
Perl
Havok
AI
UI
FX
OOD
OOP
SQL

this is a wonderful goal but i dont think you realize the complexity of some of these programs and just not to know them, but to get good at them. For instance Maya..if you only had this to learn within a year you wouldnt/couldnt do it. It's just too much in too little time to be good at something so complex.

Learning something liek Maya by itself in a year is impossible. People with 4 or 5 years of Maya experience dont know it all and are constantly learning something new. I have only been working with maya now off and on for 18 months and i have barely scratched the surface. I think the same can be said about 3ds. Maya + 3dStudio Max you are looking at 8 - 10 years for both of those and thats if you keep up with the changes in this software and do it every day for 8 - 10 years and nothing else.

I am sure you could knock out some of that and know some of the basics but thats about all.

[Edited by - OpenGL_Guru on July 19, 2006 11:11:57 AM]
heh
I don't mean to be negative, but I don't advise setting that goal...its highly unrealistic that you can learn and be efficient in all of that. It would almost be pointless. I'd advise you to maybe focus on one or two of those things at a time, or just focus on getting efficient with C. If you do go for it, good luck, but don't be disappointed if you don't get even halfway done.
Christ mate, pick one thing at a time, there is absolutely no need to learn all that (at least not in one go), pick one thing that you need/want to learn (if you're not sure what think what you intend on trying to do with it then ask some oppinions on the best tool for the job) and concentrate/learn about that.

Firstly, make sure you actually have some programming experience, you say you know C but does that mean you've read a book/tutorial and understand the syntax or can you actually use it to create/solve problems well.

From the big long list of things you have there it looks like at some point you're wanting to get into Object Oriented Programming, so maybe the first step would be to find a language which supports it and start learning that. From knowing C I guess C++ or C# might seem the obvious choice but you might find you prefer Java, I don't know...just remember that of the 3 I think C++ will probably take longer due to all the gotchas and tidying you got to learn/remember about.

So my advice is either...

1) Stick with C for a bit and make a few programs, maybe learn to use the SDL library and do some graphics and have some fun.

or

2) Have a look at the object oriented languages and choose one to start learning.

Hope that helps.
The question is "why do you want to learn all this ?".
I don't think you "need" to know all this.
I don't think you "can" learn enough all this (in 1 year or in 10 !).
And your list is strange: you want "programming tutorials" and want them to teach you 3D Studio Max ? you said you know "C" so why is it in the list ? for me, D3D is Direct3D (already in the list).

And why would you want to learn SQL twice ? ;)

Uncle Remus
Well you could strive to attain expert level C++ which would only take about 8-10 years. Or you could select a few of those idioms (which you are probably unsure of their actual meaning) and try specializing in a few and later on generalizing others.

It quite honestly looks like you grabbed a bunch of (looked for qualities) from a job posting and decided you have a year to learn them all rofl.

EDIT: Actually after reading that list again I am 100% positive that is exactly what you did lol.
[rant]

Actually, this highlights the amazing problem we're having hiring programmers these days. A focus on 'API/technology' at the expense of the basics. I've heard it called the 'JavaProgrammer syndrom' , but I personally blame it on schools and universities swallowing hype undigested.

Sun started it with the Great Java Push, but Microsoft has learnt, and the recent C# push is a good beginning. The reality is, it DOESN'T MATTER. If you're a good programmer in any language, you can pick up the nuances and syntactic sugar in any other language with minimal problems.

If, on the other hand, your fundamentals are weak, and you spend most of your time copying and pasting source-code from online tutorials, you'll get stymied when you switch. OF COURSE it's different; if you have no understanding on WHY it does something, translating an algorithm from Java to C++ will appear difficult.

I lecture part-time in Computer Graphics at a local college. I was helping some students with one of their project, and nearly screamed when I saw the code, which was... fugly. When I asked why, I was told that 'he didn't really understand arrays'. Then I DID scream. How can you be a 3rd year Computer Science student and not understand arrays?

I don't care how many different Graphics, Physics, UI and Networking APIs you 'know'. I don't care how many languages you've compiled 'hello world' in. I just want GOOD programmers.

[/rant]

Okay... you can go and learn 'AAA' and 'Vista' now. I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere you can rip the source-code from.

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement