A little help with 3DS Max skinning

Started by
28 comments, last by Professor420 17 years, 8 months ago
While it seems it would definitely be in my best interests to post pics, I'm quite opposed to showing anyone else anything from my game at all (yes, I'm quite paranoid), and since he's the main character, and the game is heavily based on the uniqueness of him, I wouldn't want to. I tell you, he seemed like such an easy character to rig up (relatively), but because his legs are so chunky, it's damn hard to get the top of the legs deforming correctly. Every other character is fine, but my main guy is just really hard.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Deceptacon
Quote:Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
You guys are right, but my game won't be completed for years yet, and currently games aren't pushing limits. I've had to redo my character twice already because of the poly count, and this time I'm splashing out. Nothing else in the game is anywhere near as excessive. All characters have parts where they will be in really close up shots (on sections with literally just a picture background). This is for the ultra high detail version. I am going to create LOD from them for other sections of the game.

btw, I just checked, and the character is actually 10,000 tris (with 5000 of those in the head), and thanks to your advice, I'm cutting that way down (most of the detail was around the joints, and isn't working). Thanks to your advice (and thanks to a few vidoe tutorials I got) I realised I can severely cut that down without any drop in apparent quality at any level (in fact, it looks a lot better). In effect, you've answered my question of how to skin a hi-poly character - make him lower poly :P

Uhh... half your polycount comes from the head? Well, you either:
A) Put loads of superflous detail in the head that even a basic texturing could solve.
B) Have crippling detail shortages everywhere else.

Here's the trick about 99% of all games:

You spend most of the time looking at the REAR of the character. You have to stop and think when you're making game models. This isnt something where you can see every little detail possible all the time. Not only that, but there are ways OTHER than increasing the poly count to decrease the amount of noticable polygons. There is tons of tech in this field you seem to be outright ignoring.

Well actually, if you knew anything about the game, you'd know that the character is constantly seen from every angle in my game (definitely not the rear). And he isn't skimped anywhere else, and texturing can't solve the issues, because texture wise, he is quite minimal (think Sonic the Hedgehog). His details are all justified, and texturing can only get around a few of them, and I it looks nowhere near as good. My game isn't your standard 3rd person type deal, so please don't judge my decisions based on the norm of what people are making.

You have a 10,000 poly model with sonic the hedgehog like texturing...

Yeahhhhhhh... you're going to have to post that, because it sounds either rediculously over detailed mesh wise, or rediculously underdetailed texturewise.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
I have to say, yes you are paranoid.. the game is made by the gameplay not the unique main character. Everyone has plenty of their own ideas, and the type of person who would rip off your idea is probably the type of person who would never manage to finish making a game.
You guys are right, but my game won't be completed for years yet, and currently games aren't pushing limits. I've had to redo my character twice already because of the poly count, and this time I'm splashing out. Nothing else in the game is anywhere near as excessive. All characters have parts where they will be in really close up shots (on sections with literally just a picture background). This is for the ultra high detail version. I am going to create LOD from them for other sections of the game.

btw, I just checked, and the character is actually 10,000 tris (with 5000 of those in the head), and thanks to your advice, I'm cutting that way down (most of the detail was around the joints, and isn't working). Thanks to your advice (and thanks to a few vidoe tutorials I got) I realised I can severely cut that down without any drop in apparent quality at any level (in fact, it looks a lot better). In effect, you've answered my question of how to skin a hi-poly character - make him lower poly :P

Uhh... half your polycount comes from the head? Well, you either:
A) Put loads of superflous detail in the head that even a basic texturing could solve.
B) Have crippling detail shortages everywhere else.

Here's the trick about 99% of all games:

You spend most of the time looking at the REAR of the character. You have to stop and think when you're making game models. This isnt something where you can see every little detail possible all the time. Not only that, but there are ways OTHER than increasing the poly count to decrease the amount of noticable polygons. There is tons of tech in this field you seem to be outright ignoring.

Well actually, if you knew anything about the game, you'd know that the character is constantly seen from every angle in my game (definitely not the rear). And he isn't skimped anywhere else, and texturing can't solve the issues, because texture wise, he is quite minimal (think Sonic the Hedgehog). His details are all justified, and texturing can only get around a few of them, and I it looks nowhere near as good. My game isn't your standard 3rd person type deal, so please don't judge my decisions based on the norm of what people are making.

You have a 10,000 poly model with sonic the hedgehog like texturing...

Yeahhhhhhh... you're going to have to post that, because it sounds either rediculously over detailed mesh wise, or rediculously underdetailed texturewise.

The fact is that texture wise, he is basically flat color for of him (he's a very stylized character). The fact is that texturing can't substitute any of the geometry directly. He is basically all curves all over too. Of course I could go and it down, and I am well aware of how much higher poly he is relative to current games. As I said, that's the highest detail version. In the situation where you are expecting him to pop up, a much lower poly will be used. In the parts where I use the ultra hi detail version, he will only have a few hundred other polys on the screen max at the same time. Much of the areas of higher detail were added because I didn't know how much detail I would need for skinning, but after all of your obvious objection to my methods, and the advice you've all given for skinning, I'm cutting it down a lot anyway. Because a lot of the polygons were wasted in these areas. I will think about posting it when I've finished skinning him and I feel I've adressed all of your concerns (which I assure you I've taken quite seriously at the moment)
You sure seem to have a lot of excuses for not posting this amazing model you speak of.
You sure seem to have a lot of excuses for not posting this amazing model you speak of.

Actually no, it's just one - that I don't want anyone knowing about my game or its characters. And in case you've forgotten, that's not what this thread was about anyway.
"I will think about posting it when I've finished skinning him"
"I'm quite opposed to showing anyone else anything from my game at all (yes, I'm quite paranoid), and since he's the main character, and the game is heavily based on the uniqueness of him"

Stop being foolish, either put up or shut up. Given some of your rediculous comments and your unwillingness to prove yourself, I see no reason at all to see why I should even believe this model exists.
"I'm quite opposed to showing anyone else anything from my game at all (yes, I'm quite paranoid), and since he's the main character, and the game is heavily based on the uniqueness of him"

Stop being foolish, either put up or shut up. Given some of your rediculous comments and your unwillingness to prove yourself, I see no reason at all to see why I should even believe this model exists.

come down there apc... it is his chioce. while it doesn't make much sense and will affect him negatively, it still is his chioce.
however Deceptacon , i think you should show your model so we can give a lot more specific advice for rigging/skinning him along with judge if your wireframe is even fit to allow correct deformation.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

I really don't care if you think my model exists. This thread wasn't called "I have a ****ing awesome model and I'm better than you". In fact, I was asking for help about skinning. Kind of funny how you got off track, huh? I really don't need to justify myself to some random poster on a forum. Your approval/praise means nothing to me. I was really just humouring you by saying I'd post anything in the faint hope you'd shut up, but no, that didn't seem to work. I'm not here to prove myself or make myslef look good - I was here for help, and I got it, and I got my answer, and that's the end of it.
Don't forget to use Twist links, lots of them if you can afford them (some engines will toss the links away and generate the proper deformations procedurally on export, Source for example). And make sure in your test animations that your clavicle bone is animated correctly, or it will throw off your deformations.
Skinning, like everything, takes alot of experience. Expect to re-skin your character ones you have more practice, especially if he's your main character.
-------------www.robg3d.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement