Sign in to follow this  
Supaflyfrank

[web] Access Another Page Through Your Own

Ok my problem is I want to be able to allow the users of my page to access their friends list on TagWorld but their is only two ways I can think of doing that. Either I can use their database (impossible) or log in their form and access their friends list and then just grab the information I need. But how would I be able to accomplish this. I'm going to do it on the server side and I'm using Coldfusion. I know Its possible cause I seen programs for php games that automatically input information in a form and then login in. And I also heard of hackers spamming by creating thousands of email address by filling in form fills etc.. Im not using this for any bad cause just trying to make the user happier. Any suggestions I would think it was some kind of hook but I'm not sure. Any suggestions or tutorial would be helpful thank you.

In order for that to work, the users would need to enter their password for this third party site on yours.

Asking them to do so is pretty lame, I'd imagine that most will refuse. It won't work because your less gullible users aren't just going to type their password into some random site.

Yes you COULD use web robot / screen scraping techniques to do this, but it wouldn't work very well.

Specifically, because this third party site hasn't provided an API, your screen scraper may fail at any time due to factors outside your control. Therefore it will probably be broken at any given time.

Moreover, you're using Coldfusion which makes even easy things hard - maybe you'd have to write some CF component or something to do it instead.

Mark