Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

Need tutorials on designing RTS type games

I haven't come across anything online concentrating on RTS design in particular. But I seem to recall there are books on it - check out GameDev's books section. There maybe something in the articles section too, but I didn't see anything.

Gamasutra also has lots of articles that tend to be about specific things. You may find some concentrating on certain aspects of an RTS. So you can check Gamasutra's features.
You should at least be able to find postmortems for some RTS games that might have useful info.

Does any one have any sugestions on how to start programming 2D RTS game? Like what some one whould have to learn to make the game. Like how to mange so many resources and objects and how to make all the units coordinate with each other. What whould be the easyst base for strating a game like this with out worring about the gfx right away just the menagment system or soemthing like that

Have you programmed any simpler games yet? If you do that, then you can quickly get an idea of the specific problems that will face you when creating an RTS. Without that experience, you'll struggle.

Your first task is probably to get it displaying some terrain; decide how you want to do this. Then decide how you'll represent your soldiers, and work on placing them on the map. Then add input so that you can click somewhere on the map and the unit moves there. Etc. Build up the functionality piece by piece and layer the game on top.

Agreed. You'll struggle to ever find a text that gives an overview of a specific genre of game (or even program) while going into sufficient depth to be useful.

If you start to break the problem down into areas (graphics, artificial intellegence, path finding etc) you can just google to find everything you could ever want and more.

Putting all the pieces together is really always going to be your job.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan

Your first task is probably to get it displaying some terrain; decide how you want to do this. Then decide how you'll represent your soldiers, and work on placing them on the map. Then add input so that you can click somewhere on the map and the unit moves there. Etc. Build up the functionality piece by piece and layer the game on top.

I agree with you 100% that I should make one piece at a time.

I have found this link
http://www.codecube.net/games/tutorials/rts/

it will help with some issues that may come up but it is using Direct3d and I am just trying to make mine as basic as possible