Need insight on creating a Geomery Wars Clone

Started by
5 comments, last by Murtasma 17 years, 8 months ago
Someone has already created a clone for Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved for the PC. You can download it here http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/ It was orginally created for the XBox 360 Arcade. If you have played the 360 version I would like to get my game to look very similar and run just as fast. I am just learning video game programming in C++. It won't be awhile until I am ready to make my first game. Question 1. I ran the clone on my computer but, it runs pretty slow. I have a 2GHz AMD Athlon with 512MB Ram and a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. How fast do you think a computer would have to be to make a port that is very similar
Advertisement
To make a clone of that game I would say you need a good particle engine.

Main concern would be the gfx card because there is a ton of blended particles and blending isn't something gfx cards can do very quickly. However in planestate I use about 500 blended particles without any problems on DX7 hardware. However for geometry wars I think they are using quite a lot more than that at times.

Plane9 - Home of the free scene based music visualizer and screensaver
Thanks for the insight I'll do some reading on particle engines. :)
Hah, I know the guy who put together that clone. Small world. His was done in Blitz.

Quote:If you have played the 360 version I would like to get my game to look very similar and run just as fast.

That's pretty unlikely; the version on the Xbox360 is pretty tuned to its strengths (for example, the background physics are done on a separate thread). The clone you linked ahead does only rudimentary background physics to keep the computational cost low.

It would definitely be possible for you to make a gameplay clone. Robotron knockoffs have been around for years.
I could always make it so the grid dosen't move with the bullet. Tho I may add it's an awesome effect but, when you get into the millions you don't even notice the grid because there are so many baddies on the screen. I could also go with something that is not a grid that has an effect that is less intensive on the SPU. What I want really is have all the enemies look the same with the same fireworks when enemies are killed along with the amount of enemies on screen.
im creating a VERY similar clone right now myself. now while some of the gameplay/graphics is different, the general idea is the same.

as far as the background effects, i did a mesh of mass-spring-damper systems, and a very simple way to add geometric pressure to each node (expanding circles for explosions, etc), and it seems to run pretty fast. I'll have screen shots up soon.
---------Coming soon! Microcosm II.
Quote:Original post by xSKOTTIEx
im creating a VERY similar clone right now myself. now while some of the gameplay/graphics is different, the general idea is the same.

as far as the background effects, i did a mesh of mass-spring-damper systems, and a very simple way to add geometric pressure to each node (expanding circles for explosions, etc), and it seems to run pretty fast. I'll have screen shots up soon.

Could you send me a PM when you have a picture or a website I can check out?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement