What is the difference between bump mapping and normal mapping?

Started by
7 comments, last by PhilMorton 17 years, 9 months ago
I'm reading varying stories for what the difference is. Thanks.
Advertisement
They're the same, pretty much. Bump mapping is simulating bumps on a flat surface, and nowadays that's mostly done by having a normal map and doing per pixel lighting.
My understanding is that normal mapping is a certain way of implementing bump mapping. I've always thought of "bump mapping" as referring to any technique for rendering surface detail without storing, transforming, and rendering extra geometry.
Hey mate,

Bump Mapping

Normal Mapping

Hope that helps,

Dave
In a nutshell, bump maps store a relative heightmap. That heightmap is used to generate a slope value for each texel. The slope is then used to modify the existing surface normal of the polygon in order to achieve bumpiness.

A normal map, on the other hand, encodes the surface normal in a texture map, and looks up the surface normal directly from this map for each texel, rather than perturbing an existing surface normal. Normal mapping is more generalized than bump mapping, and provides much better control over the specific surface behaviors that can be simulated, including a wider variety of potential effects.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Use parallax mapping with a height map, and normal map, it looks 10x more realistic if implemented correctly in my opinion.
The difference between bump mapping and normal mapping is the same as the difference between a sports car and a porsche.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Ex777
Use parallax mapping with a height map, and normal map, it looks 10x more realistic if implemented correctly in my opinion.

With a sufficiently sophisticated implementation of parallax mapping, a normal map isn't actually necessary to achieve per-pixel lighting. It's possible to calculate accurate soft-shadows right in the parallax shader.
Quote:Original post by Promit
The difference between bump mapping and normal mapping is the same as the difference between a sports car and a porsche.

Exactly -
Normal mapping IS A bump mapping technique -
NormalMapping : public BumpMappingTechnique

Bump mapping is just the general idea of making a flat surface look like it has bumps. Normal mapping does this through per-pixel lighting. Parralax mapping does this through per-pixel offsets. Combine them both and you have nice "next-gen" bump mapping ;)
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement