Help with D3D App class

Started by
1 comment, last by Endurion 17 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I am starting to dive into DX coming from OpenGL... I have noticed some people are wrapping DX stuff into classes and making their life easier of course, but why not use the DX SDK class that I see sometimes? (name of the class eludes me) Any thoughts or reasons why to or not use it for game engine development. Thanks
Advertisement
I don't use it because I think I'll learn more if I make my own (I'm not a very good programmer). Also, I'm comfortable with my own naming conventions and going through and changing everything would be a pain. Other than that I don't really know. It just came naturally to me to make my own wrapper classes.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
The D3D app class i know from the DX8 SDK contains quite a lot code and not everything is as clear commented as i'd wish it was.

I still used it as base for my general render class since it checks quite a lot of caps and makes it possible to run with my wanted settings almost everywhere.

You still might build your own wrapper class but take a close look on the framework Microsoft built. There's a lot of things that may not make sense on the first glance but can be quite crucial for a successful startup.

One of the things i added on top: Auto-switch to fullscreen or back if the target card wouldn't support the wanted mode in a window (yes, crap like that is out there).

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement