Sign in to follow this  

Is there ANY way to filter out MFC search results in MSDN. I DO NOT WANT THEM if my project doesn't use MFC (and it never does). Actually, filtering these out isn't totally neccessary - what would suffice, is if MSDN didn't default-jump to the MFC search result when pressing F1. For instance, try WM_GETDLGCODE. I want the message, not the afx-whatever garbage built around the message in MFC. My current filter criteria are C++ Libraries (Native), Win32 & COM

While it is a bit anoying, it is pretty simple to get at the non-MFC entry. Take your example of WM_GETDLGCODE. Highlight WM_GETDLGCODE, press F1. It jumps to the stupid MFC entry. Click the drop-down next to "F1 Options". The non-MFC entry will be listed there.

Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.

That's the main problem - all entires do not have a direct link to the non-MFC entry, which means that you have to use the search, which couldn't have been built much more infuriatingly inconvenient (what's with the "search item could not be found" message popping up long after I've cancelled the search?; or better yet - why the heck would MSDN freeze the entire IDE (or anything for that matter) if I don't allow it to search the web (eg have my firewall block it)?). In general, I'd use a simple good old fashioned chm help system rather than the let's-make-it-so-bulky-that-it'll-slow-down-any-computer help system that they have now (specifically the search part).

@Colin

I hate doing routine checks on the web - when I press F1, it's usually because I want to QUICKLY see the syntax for a message or a function - all of that is present in the offline MSDN - MS have just made it horribly annoying to get to. Maintaining MFC, which is probably one of the worst API's ever invented anyway, as part of the help system when my solution has nothing to do with MFC (and without an option to disable it), is nigh-on an atrocity. I can't even count the number of times that I've needed to quick-check something like the syntax for WM_KEYDOWN and it throws me to MFC's OnKeyDown() help page that doesn't have a direct link to the WM_KEYDOWN message (note that WM_KEYDOWN is an example that I popped off the top of my head - it just demonstrates what I have in mind).

well we now know why google's stock is like $400 something and microsoft's is only $20 or so. google's search technology whoop's microsoft's ass. but yeah i feel your pain, i would love to be able to do searches on local MSDN like GetDlgItem -"MFC" -".NET" as i do in google or have more specific Technology search filters. maybe with orcas :-).

I stopped using the offline MSDN because I could control my searches better and therefore get my information faster by going online. Since I have a browser open all the time, it's not too big of a deal either.

Considering how much time you're wasting pulling up MFC entries, maybe you should do the same [smile]

F1 is rather bitchy - I never found how to restrict its search to a selected set of components. I suggest you to use the index search, and select the corresponding filter (Platform SDK). You can also restrict the "content" help window and the "search" feature (not F1 search, the complete search) using the same filter.

Regards,

I don't know if your VC++ version has this feature, but I use the Dynamic Help window. It's positioned to the left of the editor, and when I want help on a function, i select it in the editor, and links to the documentation on both the Win32 and the MFC version pop up.