• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Charles Thomas

MDX - Low FPS with terrain

This topic is 4384 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Unless I'm mistaken, a Quadtree is the way to go. I've implemented one. I tried the route of using one index buffer, limited in size. I update the indices every frame based on camera frustum. This was way too slow. Attempt 2. I load indices into the buffer once. I then do several batch calls for nodes that are visible based on offset. This is still slow. Much faster than the previous, but I'm getting 100 fps for a simple 128x128 wireframe split into 32x32 nodes. I know there is a more effienct way to handle this. I'd like to eventually hold very large landscapes.

Advertisement
Here's a nice discussion about quadtrees and use of various buffers. Hopefully that should help you out a bit :).

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!