Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Sprites and Z-axis

This topic is 4166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Im' pretty new at DirectX so my apologies if this is a stupid question :-s I'm making a cardgame with some animation and I'm using managed DirectX. I'm used to doing this kind of stuff in QT, but I'm trying to switch to .NET. What I want to do, is to be able to index the z-value. In QT you can draw a sprite and the z-index states if you want a certain sprite in front of another one. Now I'm trying to do this in MDX but I just don't get it yet:-s I can draw the sprites & such, and i can set the position (using a Vector3) but it seems the sprites get in front of eachother according to the drawing order, meaning the first drawn sprite is covered by all others? Isn't there a simple way to change this? I was hoping to be able to set the position and edit the Z-value, but this doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions? Many thanks, Pascal

Well just changing the Z coordinate won't work unless you applying transformations to either the Sprite or the World. You will also need to use a depth buffer to make sure pixels are occluded correctly.

A simpler solution might be to just give them a z coordinate value, and then sort them based on that value. Then they will be drawn in the correct order.

Ok, it works, I didn't know I had to manually enable the Z-buffer. I was already placing them correct, but with no options for the z-buffer. Now it works:-)

Many thanks for the info!

This topic is 4166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.