Windows vs. Linux

Started by
32 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 8 months ago
If possible, you should make your game core cross-platform. That should be possible with C++/OpenGL as they are supported on all platforms. You may need an abstracted input layer as the techniques for getting player input are different on different OSs.

If you want a decent size player base (i.e. not just your mates) you should provide a Windoze version as almost all casual surfers use it.
Advertisement
Build for both. It's extremely easy(*) unlike some people seem think. No win32 or X specific programming is needed, as long as you stay with well done, portable libs.

(*) at least with this little framework/library.
link for the above post:
http://glfw.sourceforge.net/

:)
I use SDL and OpenGL to release games targeting all three major platforms and Solaris. I highly recommend that others do the same. It has the huge benefit that I can work on my game on whatever OS I want -- right now I'm using a brand-new Macbook Pro and an AMD64 running Windows. SDL also frees me from having to learn each system's individual window-spitting APIs -- I do know Carbon, Win32 API and (part of) XWindows by now, but I sure as hell don't need to know it. Many commercial games now with Linux ports (UT2004, Quake 4, Doom 3, America's Army) use SDL and OpenGL.

The amount of work I have do to port my software from OS X to Windows is to change a header file to include a different SDL path, and recompile. That's literally it, and I wouldn't even have to do that if I just wrote an ifdef.

Near as I can see, I get vaguely 2/3 of my downloads from Windows, with OS X and Linux scrapping over the remaining third with some sort of ebb and flow. It's at least a substantial amount.

Target everything; you need all the exposure you can get, and non-Windows operating systems are becoming more popular. A portable game library like SDL, ClanLib, Allegro or PTK is an excellent choice because they give you more choices.
which platform you want to do the majority of your coding on depends more on the toolchain you're using to create the game. Like if you're using vim+makefiles linux would most likely be easier to use that toolchain, but if you're using visual studio, it would make windows a more suitable OS to develop on. Personally I use gvim+make(looking into scons though), and prefer to use linux as middle clicking the scrollbar is easier than right clicking and hitting scroll here, and when my X locks up I can just switch to a virtual console rather than having to reboot.
imho windowsprogramming would be better, because only few normal users out there ("few") have linux

never the less, i most likely program in linux
Wow guys, thanks for the replies, much appreciated! :D. I think we've decided to go to linux. Can any1 suggest any compilers and programs for creating models, i heard 'Blender' (correct me if I'm wrong) is a model making program for linux.

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan
Quote:Original post by Omega147
Building on Linux, you may have an easier time programming as you wouldn't have to learn about Windows programming, which can be difficult at times.

And programming X is simpler? [rolleyes]

"For years, I’ve had misgivings about people learning programming on Win32 (unix / X would be even worse), where it takes a lot of arcane crap just to get to the point of drawing something on the screen and responding to input." -- John Carmack

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
note sdl was ported to ps2 ( i have no doubts it'll be available on ps3 as well )

make the smart move + use it + forget about the os
If you're going to make your game cross-platform, then it doesn't matter which plataform you develop into. Linux will always be the cheaper (legal) option of course.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement