Sign in to follow this  
rogierpennink

Opinions on book

I'm thinking of buying "3D Game Engine Programming" by Stefan Zerbst and Oliver Duvel. Part of 'thinking of buying' means reading reviews for me, and after having done that I'm still not sure on what to do. Basically a number of reviews say that this book is not at all for beginners and that you should be 'comfortable' with D3D and C/C++. I'm currently still in the learning process of Direct3D with the book of Frank D. Luna ( "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" ). I'm not looking for an easy book, I don't mind spending days figuring something out - rather that than wasting money on a book whose content I could've learned in a day with a tutorial. I need some advice, would this be a good book for me? Ultimately, making games (and thus a game engine) is my goal, so it seems to fit. The reviews were not unanimously positive though, so I wondered what the people at GameDev think of it.

The book uses VSC++ (NOT EXPRESS) and it's resource system. So unless you know a way to work around it, or you have VSC++, it would have no use. Besides, the book doesn't explain much.

-Stenny

i really only knew managed directx before starting with that book.

I dont think it goes very deep into directx. It doesn't use the extensions alot.
With the help of Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 i dont think you should have a problem.

i thought the book was very good.

Hmm, two opposite opinions :P

The VSC++ thing might be a problem though. I only have VSC++ 6.0 which is pretty outdated and the express edition of VSC++ 2005. Which VSC++ version does the book use?

I didn't say it was a bad book, I warned you for the fact you need to know some basic VS, C++ and DirectX!

You're lucky! The version of the book I have uses 6.0, but that may have been changed by now.

-Stenny