Gfx dont render when run outside IDE, but does when run inside.

Started by
4 comments, last by SHanghaiARTs 17 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I've been trying to figure this out for a long time. I'm using MSVC++2005 and my Dx9 app renders all my objects just fine in debug and release... but only when I press F5 to run it inside the IDE. The debug build renders just fine inside and out, but the release build renders only when I run with F5, otherwise all I get is the clear color. I haven't detected any failures, errors, or warnings with the DX debug runtimes either. I'm really stumped. What could be happening (or not happening) when I run it outside the IDE? Please help!!
Advertisement
Hi,

What exactly are you drawing? Can you provide more information.

One example I can think of is if you are trying to access images files etc. from the current working directory it can be different when run in the IDE than from Windows Explorer or the command prompt.

And if you attempt to load assets like this but do not generate errors when files are not found you may not notice anything.

Cheers,
dhm
Yeah, make sure you use complete filenames, ie c:\blah\blah\file.abc
And/or programically get the current working directory (from an .ini, or api call)

The IDE automatically does this for you, so when running from the actual directory, it doesn't always give you the right file path.

That's the main problem, just make sure your assets are infact getting loaded.
I'm pretty certain I've got the right directory. If it was wrong, all my files would have failed to load, and I am checking the return values on all my load calls. If any of them returned with anything other than success, the app should terminate. Another strike against that is the fact that the debug build works fine outside the IDE, it's only the release build that doesn't render. Thanks for your input anyway, though.

As for what I'm drawing: at this point, just some textured quads.
Anything in the debug output?
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=10#q61
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
No, nothing in the debug window.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement