So I want to use TGA...

Started by
8 comments, last by BrknPhoenix 17 years, 9 months ago
I want to use Targa images in my game, but I've mostly been using Photoshop Elements 4.0 for anything of such a nature. Problem is, versions of Photoshop prior to 7.1 (or some version like that) have "issues" with saving Targa files (from what I've read on some forums as well as Adobe's site) that use an alpha channel. What's a good program that will allow me to use transparency in Targa files where the transparency will actually be saved?
Advertisement
Use PSD format if it's not for production. So you can modify easily source files and directly access it in prog.
http://www.codeproject.com/bitmap/MyPSD.asp

Peous
The GIMP
[size="1"]
What about using .png files, those are smaller than .tga? The library for reading them is a big one though.
Thanks, I'll try GIMP :)

And the reason I'm using TGA and not PNG... Well, I'm using an extension library to another library I'm using to load PNG files, and I'm having difficulty getting textures to load up with transparency. I'm sure there's a way to make it work, but I'm going the simpler route and using TGA, for which the first library I'm using supports without the additional extension.
Okay, I give up. Where for the love of christ do you change the color depth of an image in GIMP >_< *is used to photoshop*
Image->Mode will switch between RGB, greyscale and indexed. Alpha channel is a per layer attribute, so if you need to give a layer an alpha channel, you would go Layer->Transparency->Add Alpha Channel

Assuming Gimp 2, I think it may have different in earlier versions.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Image->Mode will switch between RGB, greyscale and indexed. Alpha channel is a per layer attribute, so if you need to give a layer an alpha channel, you would go Layer->Transparency->Add Alpha Channel

Assuming Gimp 2, I think it may have different in earlier versions.

My add alpha channel option is grayed out :(
That generally means that the layer already has an alpha channel.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
That generally means that the layer already has an alpha channel.

Exactly what I thought... but GIMP saves it as a 24 bit TGA. Which is useless to me because TGA needs to be 32 bit for its transparency to work :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement