appWiz

Started by
6 comments, last by Billr17 17 years, 9 months ago
I downloaded "VS 2005 express" when i create a new project i cant find AppWizard to make MFC files... can someone give me a sugestion on hat to do ?? (sorry if questions are stupid... first time i use the porgramm..)
Advertisement
The express edition doesn't come with MFC or ATL. It's probably because they'd rather have you use .NET. I don't really like MFC, so I haven't bothered to look up a real solution for it. If you want to make windows apps, I'd try C#, as it seems MS would prefer it.

Also, to use the windows.h header in VC++ 2005 EE, you'll have to install the Platform SDK.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Whel im not realy usind VS for window apps ... im planing to use it for OpenGL..
any VS version has an appWiz along with it ?
if yes then witchone ?

Thanks in Advance

FasT
I didn't think it was common to use MFC and OGL together. I used SDL, and I found it orders of magnitude easier to understand than MFC.

The article I linked to said that the express editions don't come with MFC or ATL. To me, this implies you'll need a costs-money version for those libraries. There might be a package to install those SDKs on microsoft's website, but I haven't gone looking for it.

I recommend SDL, if you're using OGL with C++. If you're sure you want MFC, then you might want to get a different edition of VS. You can probably get one for free if you're enrolled in college. I don't know what kinds of deals MS has with schools in your country, but I got VS 2003 Pro for free when I was in school.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
I got a litle bit confused now...

can you tell me what VS is the best for working with OpenGL ???
Visual C++ 2005 Express does not come with Win32 or MFC support by default. You must download the Windows Platform SDK and modify a couple configuartion files to make it work.

Platform SDK Download

Instruction for modifying Visual C++ Express Edition to use the SDK

I'm not sure how good the MFC forms designer works in the express edition, since I've never used the Express Edition to do MFC programming. I now have the Standard edition and use it. :-)

After installing the Platform SDK, you should be all set to do OpenGL development with eith MFC or the Win32 API's.

I personally prefer the .NET stuff over MFC (yuck!). So I primarily program in C#. You can do OpenGL in C#, but you must use an wrapper library. One of the most popular OpenGL wrapper libraries right now is the TAO framework. However, there is very little documentation on it. If your new to OpenGL, I'd stick to the Win32 or MFC API's.

- Bill
and dose the standart edition has all these things included or also must set them separate?
Quote:Original post by FasT
and dose the standart edition has all these things included or also must set them separate?

The Standard Edition has MFC and Win32 API included by default. It is much more fully featured. However, you should be able to accomplish most things with the express editions.

I obtained my copy free through a give away Microsoft was doing a few months ago. I think the give away is over now, but you may want to check it out anyways. Do a search on the forums for 'free visual studio 2005'.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement