who wins, who loses, you do the math!

Started by
6 comments, last by GameNoob 17 years, 8 months ago
Ok 2 cars are racing, and they have the following properties: Car.Power Car.Handling Car.DriverLevel So I could emphasis the 3 above properties in various ways. For example, I could weight driver-level much more than say the car's power etc etc. Can you guys give me some pointers on how I would go about deciding who wins and who loses? example numbers: (power, handling, driverlevel) driver#1 500, 300, 5 driver#2 650, 250, 6
Advertisement
i think you need more variables to determine the outcome, for example "track complexity" or something. Is this a dragway they are racing on, in which having more power will more than likely be a huge determining factor. Or is it a very winding track with many curves, where handling and driver skill will be more beneficial. But of course two cars with similiar power is going to more than likely come down to driver skill on a straight track...
http://www.thedizzle.com
expanding on what rgirard413 said: which stats are more important depends upon course data so the simplest way would be to have 3 weights for each stat and whoever has the highest sum of stat*statweight would be the winner. Alternativly, if you wanted to go so far as to make a course you could have courseparts each containing a switch similar to if(stats>reallyhigh)time=20 else if(stats>moderate)time=30 else time = 50

add up the time for each car for each coursepart and the car with the lowest time wins for that course.
yeah its just a drag race actually....
There is no way to accurately quantify driver ability and car handling, so it is totally up to you to decide how all the parameters relate. You want to make it quasi-realistic, but also fun. This is the essence of game design. Enjoy.

My only suggestion is don't make it overly complicated, and add a small random factor so that the underdog has a least a small chance of winning.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
>>There is no way to accurately quantify driver ability and car handling, so it >>is totally up to you to decide how all the parameters relate.

The user purchases cars, and then modifies the cars as they see fit.

So both the cars power and handling will then be modified as per the users choice of part modifications.

The drivers ability will be based on the users level and win ratio maybe?

I just have no idea on where HOW to go about combining these elements (+ a randomizer) and creating a mathematical forumula!?

This might give you some ideas:

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/index.html
actually that article confuses me more...man that is complicated! haha

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement