very slow speed of loading .x flie

Started by
3 comments, last by Bulma 17 years, 9 months ago
I've made a .x file which store a building . The size of .x file is just 800k (more or less) But when I read it by the mview.exe . Something goes wrong.My computer went down. And it seemed lack of memory . But my memory is 512mb. I just used one texture for many times in the .x file . Why did it happen ????? Is there something I should be care of to improve the speed??? Any help is appriciate!! [Edited by - snakecjy on July 20, 2006 10:16:17 PM]
Advertisement
When you say you used one texture many times, how big is it, and did you actually list its filename many times? Did you use a program to export the x file or create it yourself? Can you post the x file?
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
I'm very sorry that I don't know how to post the .x file.

I checked what you said.
The size of jpg is 696*648.
And I only list its name once.
I made it by 3ds max , and exported it by PandaDXExport6.dle.

I really need your help !!
Thank you!!
Try exporting to the binary format in the Panda exporter. This dramatically increased .x file load times for me.

Additionally you should try to use texture sizes in powers of 2 (128x128, 256x256, 512x512 etc) since video hardware is optimized for that and older cards may fail to load other sizes. IIRC you can set up the Panda exporter to convert the textures to power of 2 sizes for you.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
I am not 100% sure, but it is possible that MView doesn`t check if texture is already loaded, and loads same texture multiple times. So if you have same texture referenced on 100-200 different materials and each texture is 2-3MB in size...
Try loading with smaller texture (32x32 or less)...
Bulma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement